Upgrade TiVo HD with Bumwine method??

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jrpeterson5, Aug 28, 2007.

1. jrpeterson5

jrpeterson5 New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I recently upgraded the internal drive on my S3 using the Bumwine instructions. It was easy, and successful.

Now I want to use the same method to upgrade my TiVo HD. Does anyone know if I can use the Bumwine instructions to upgrade the TiVo HD internal drive?? I couldn't find any post that specifically said this method works on the TiVo HD. :confused: I would like to use these instructions because I'm familiar with them from the S3 upgrade.

Thanks!

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I would use the mfslive.org instructions. It seems there have been some changes to the way the TiVo HD is upgraded so other methods are probably incompatible unless they have recently been updated.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    many methods that worked on S2 and S3 units will not work on the TivoHD unless they've been updated, and they'd be sure to mention if they did since it was a big change.

4. stream

stream New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    San...
    Totally agree--it is so easy. A very easy UI, with not programming knowledge or root access necessary. If you just backup/restore the TiVo drive (don't copy recordings, it's a 30 minute exercise total.

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The Bumwine instructions don't work with the TivoHD. You need to use WinMFS or the new Linux boot CD at MFSLive.org.

6. jlee301

jlee301 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    I followed the steps listed for a 750GB hard drive and it work flawlessly a year ago. I decided I wanted to upgrade to a 1TB hard drive, so I did the same process using both my 750GB and 1TB hard drives. However, when I attempted to expand the drive, it said there was nothing to add. Putting the drive back into my TiVo, it looks to have the exact same setup from my 750GB. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to expand using 'mfstool' with what I have in the 1TB drive.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

7. jlee301

jlee301 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    I ended up using mfslive and it corrected the partitions and was able to expand the drive to the correct size.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    WinMFS is the easiest and quickest solution.