upgrade series 1 directtv tivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by cJAY, Sep 29, 2006.

1. cJAY

cJAY New Member

Jul 3, 2002

Advertisements

I have a series 1 directtv tivo. I have a TV that is HD capable, and am thinking about a HD Tivo. The only thing holding me back is a few questions…

My existing Tivo is great. I bought the lifetime subscription and upgraded my hard drive. The system shows no signs of dieing. Can I keep this tivo active and just add a HD tivo (not buy a new subscription)?

What about local HD? It’s in Jacksonville and I really don’t like the idea of adding an antenna to my house.

What is the current recommendation for DirectTv HD Tivo? Price? What about upgrading the Hard drive?

2. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    1. That's what I'm doing now. GXCEBOT and an HR10-250. One records all of my SD shows and the other all of my HD shows. Lifetime is tied to your account and covers ALL subscribed DVR's on your account.
    2. An antenna is the ONLY way to get local HD in Jacksonville with the HR10-250. It doesn't have to be big or be visible. Mine is 6" x 6" and could easily be mounted in the attic. Antenna selection is better left for the HD DirecTivo section or the Local HDTV Reception section at the parent forum.
    3a. Current recommendation is BUY NOW. DirecTV is sold out and there are no longer in production. Find one at your local electronics retailer or from one of the forum sponsers. If not, you will be stuck with the HR20-700.
    3b. Upgrading the drive is exactly the same as your other Tivo. I used InstantCake when my drive crashed and went up to a 320GB drive.

-Robert

3. cJAY

cJAY New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    Why do i want the HR10-250 instead of the HR20-700?

4. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    The HR10 uses Tivo software, the HR20 uses the new DirecTv brand of DVR software

The Tivo software is more "mature" and has fewer problems (per reports here) as well as working "better" where "better" MAY be somewhat subjective to the viewer

I currently have 3 DTivo's in boxes in storage (living in rental while build new house) and after wife (who is designer) added a dedicated theater room to the new house, I found a new HR10-250 to put in the theater... instead of letting DirecTv send me a free HR model when I reactivate my account

5. cJAY

cJAY New Member

Jul 3, 2002

Advertisements

No issue hacking either one?

6. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Do not count on the HR20 being "hackable".