Upgrade Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Oberon2006, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Oberon2006

Oberon2006 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I am considering upgrading my hard drive, even though I've only been using my TiVo for a few weeks. I had a few questions before I take the plunge.

If I do this, will it kill the warranty as I am opening up the unit? If so, should I wait until the warranty ends to do this?

How easy is it to do this? I've got some good skills, but am a little nervous about messing up and killing the new hard drive.

Thanks!

Chris

2. cdeckert219

cdeckert219 technogeek

Jan 7, 2006
    San Diego
    Yes, it would void your warranty.

I did it successfully 2 weeks ago. Not difficult, if you're careful. If you've installed a hard drive in a PC, you should be able to do it. Use the Hinsdale guide, download an .iso image for Mfs tools, DON'T boot to XP. Watch out for the white cable and power supply. Do your homework!

3. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    New or used TiVo? Model number? If you have a new series two and keep the original hard drive in case unit needs to be returned (stick it back in there instead of bigger drive) there is little chance of a problem on a return. Just make sure to stick it back in before calling them!

4. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    I never saw any seals that break when you open a Tivo box to indicate you had opened the case. Sure would like to know how they'd determine if you opened it.