Upgrade questions - apologies if asked and answered elsewhere

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by catocony, Mar 29, 2011.

1. catocony

catocony Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Guys,

I've decided to go ahead and upgrade to HD this summer. I've waited long enough for the new HD DirecTivo and really don't care to wait past another football season to upgrade. Here are my questions:

1) Dish - I have a 3 LNB dish on my roof, which I've been using with my SD boxes. It's been up there for over 4 years, since I bought this house in summer of 2007 and it was there with the previous owner. It shows up as "Slimline-3" on my R15, but since that dish only came out a few years ago, it's not accurate. I can only see Satellite 101 on setup.

Question - will I have to scrap it for a newer one that can pick up the new-to-me satellites for HD content?

2) I currently run two lines in from the dish to my living room and a single to the office. There are runs to the basement and main bedroom - unused by me.

Question - will I need to get the b-band converters? I'm having a hard time piecing together the info but it appears that they don't come with H24s but do with the older boxes? And, DirecTV will ship them - for free - if you upgrade through them?

3) With the new setup, can I still have an old SD Tivo in use in the office while the living room has HD cranking if I do get a new dish?

2. Matt L

Matt L Member

Aug 13, 2000
    Flushing, MI
    You have options, but yes a new dish is needed. Most of the new dishes are SWM, meaning the use a single wire that goes to a splitter-like box and the various receivers are hung off that. No B-Band needed, and only a single wire to dual tuner units.. But you will not be able to use an old Tivo with that setup.

You can get a multi switch that will work with existing receivers, but it needs a non-SWM dish, unless I'm wrong. That is the setup I'm using, the switch outputs SWM to all the HR2x units I have and has outputs for the older Hr10-250 I used until recently.

See if you can get D to update all your receivers, and loose the old SD TiVo...

3. catocony

catocony Member

Nov 13, 2006
    It looks like, at least through Weaknees, that you can get Slimline dishes - 3 or 5 - that don't have SWM. I guess with that option, I would need BCCs for any new HR2x boxes?

I really looks like the whole MPEG-2 upgrade path was a real waste of time. Just a few HD channels and a dish that was obsolete after just a few years - at least for HD purposes.

Another question - I've been Premier for 8 years and thus, have DVR for free. Of course, paying $127 a month for Premier on two boxes (with state taxes) I guess nothing is free. But, on upgrading to HD, I assume I'll still get DVR service included in the base rate? My monthly should just go up by the HD fee of $9.00 or whatever it is these days, correct? If not, I'll probably downgrade from Premier to choice and cut back on a few of the premium movie channels. I never watch the out-of-town sports networks like the FSNs and YES and everything, so I'm probably paying about the same for Premier as I would be for Choice with HBO/Starz/Showtime/Cinemax and DVR a la carte. At least, using the secret DirecTV pricing decoder ring, that's what it seems like.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    DirecTV will provide an HD Slimline dish with free installation when you upgrade to HiDef equipment on your account. Just call them.

The $10/mo HD Fee is waived if you sign up for automatic electronic bill payment.

5. catocony

catocony Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Thanks guys. Now that there may actually be an HD DirecTivo on the horizon - even on the H22 hardware - I may be an early convert.

6. catocony

catocony Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I fully intend to squeeze DirecTV hard. A friend of mine asked me the other day why I no longer recommend DirecTV to people - I used to do it every time someone brought up Cox problems here in Fairfax Co, which were rampant in the 2000-2005 timeframe. I told him that I was an incredibly happy and loyal DirecTV customer for 10 years, from the mid 90s right up until August 2006, when I made a temporary move to Florida and discovered that actually calling customer support - which I had only done three times in 10 years, for initial setup, then to swap receivers for Tivos, and for the move - was a bad, bad thing.

7. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009

You are in luck--there may not be a football season this year due to the strike. In reality, there will probably be a shortened season once everyone starts feeling the missed paychecks.

8. catocony

catocony Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Nah, they'll roll out replacements just like they did in 1987 and within a few weeks, the regular players will start rolling back in. The players will again win the lawsuit in court, and will again get nothing for it. The players and league will eventually sign another contract that isn't too different from the last one.

Gene Upton and Paul Tagliabue kept the golden goose happy and laying eggs for 20 years. Then a new commissioner and a new NFLPA honcho came in and decided to butt heads. It's pretty stupid, the decertification of the union and the lockout. They've been down this road several times before, it always turns out the same way.