1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade Observations

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by alvincool, Oct 12, 2017.

1. alvincool

alvincool New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The first step of upgrading my series 3 unit is done. After I upgraded the original 160GB had to a WD Red 1TG I cranked it up and asked my wife to use the unit and let me know her observations.

Menu is faster
    Two unviewable recordings are now somewhat viewable

That fits with what I was thinking. Now I have two additional upgrades to perform.

Next I will replace the caps in the power supply. I feel certain the output is low.

And last I will replace the USB WiFi dongle with a remote hub that powers off my WiFi using AC protocol. To the box it will appear as an Ethernet connection. I feel the dongle is pulling 2-3 watts off my 5v supply and I would rather have that as a safety net.

Thanks again to those that helped me with software and options on the HD install!

2. alvincool

alvincool New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Well I replaced the dongle with Ethernet from my AC media connector which should give a couple of watts back to the box, but when I went to change the capacitors my old 40 watt pencil falls short. Ordered a soldering station since I have a TV to replace capacitors in also. Will be recording all day checking for video clarity.