Upgrade Mom's system to HD?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Pipper, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Pipper

Pipper New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    I'm having trouble finding this info, so I thought I'd just ask. My mom just got a new HDTV, and she wants to upgrade DirecTV to HD (but not a PVR). She's out of contract. I'm aware of the new LNB dish that must be installled with the new HD programming that will be available in the future.

Is it best for her to call customer retention to get a good deal? My local warehouse club has DirecTV HD service with an HD receiver and free install for about $85 which seems like a good deal to me. The PVR is $249, but mom doesn't want the PVR.

Any help, or pointing to the right link would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
  3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Currently the non-DVR HD DirecTV receiver is the H20 model (with the H21 incoming soon).

4. Pipper

Pipper New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    I looked through directv.com: I was just wondering if there were better options.

5. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    Not for existing customers. The deals you see adverstised are ones to attract new customers. Your best bet is to call (or actually have your mother call since it is her account) and ask. There are a few threads here and the HD DirecTivo section detailing the process and the outcomes.

-Robert

6. Jason C

Jason C New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    call on behalf of mom and say you're going to cable. they'll pony up a high def system for 100 bucks