Upgrade Help needed......

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Haggisxj900, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Haggisxj900

Haggisxj900 New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Hi, I wonder if someone can help me?

I have a Tivo that I have had for a number of years, with its original drive or drives as the case may be. I now find myself in the position that I have two matched Maxtor 40gb drives that have come from a redundant compuer that I have.

I was wondering if it would be possible to swap these drives for the existing
    drive(s) to give me a total of 80gb.

and if so what is the best way to go about it, bearing in mind that I am totally useless when it comes to tech stuff with computers turned on unless it is plug and play.

I am not in the position to go buying new drives, so please do not suggest that.

Hope someone can help.

Haggis.

2. fade2grey

fade2grey New Member

Oct 25, 2005
    funnily enough, I've just had the same thought - except I think mine's a single drive UK tivo

3. Haggisxj900

Haggisxj900 New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    One thought that I have just had is could some one with the know how who possibly lives near me set the drives up so I would just have to swap them over with the original(s) :rolleyes: :up:

Haggis

By the way I live near St Neots in Cambridgeshire.

4. Raisltin Majere

Raisltin Majere The 96 YNWA

Mar 12, 2004
    Devon
  5. Haggisxj900

Haggisxj900 New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Thanks Raisltin,

I have had a look at the link and I have one question.........

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME.......

6. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    You don't have to do everything in Hinsdale - most of the sections are for other configurations.

What it boils down to for a UK TiVo is:-

1. Unlock your TiVo drive
    2. Make a backup of the system software and settings
    3. Restore the backup to your new drive(s)

You will need a CD burner, a PC with normal IDE connections (not SATA) and a CDROM (or floppy) drive, a spare drive (could be one of the new ones) with a FAT partition on it ...and a few hours to spare.

Steps 2 & 3 can be combined, removing the need for the intermediate drive with a FAT partition - but that way you won't get a backup you can put aside for safe-keeping.