Upgrade HD issue, Please Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by joey3002, Aug 13, 2011.

1. joey3002

joey3002 New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    I have a series 3.
    I have the original drive.

I used winmfs to backup the drive
    I then put the 1.5tb drive in and did a restore.

At the end, it prompted me to:Click "Yes" when asked to expand the drive

I did... I left it sit there for a few minutes, it appeared to be done, so I hit close.

It said are you sure you want to cancel and close the operation...

I said yes, because nothing was happening to my knowledge

I then did the supersize option.

I put the drive in the tivo, all boots fine, except I am showing 21 hours of HD available.. so it appears to be still acting like the old drive NOT resized.

What did I screw up? Should I have just left the expand procedure hammer away? how long should I let it just sit there?

Thanks in advance

2. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    My understanding is you can't use WinMFS for drives over 1TB - if you want to use a drive larger than 1TB you have to use jmfs to perform the copy and expansion.

3. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    DocNo, (and for the sake of op here),

The JMFS program was developed for the Premiere, and it was later discovered to also work for the Tivo HD. However, early in the JMFS for the Premiere thread, it was mentioned that the procedure did not work for the original model S3(OLED display).

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8168890#post8168890

The WinMfs procedure is said to work, somewhat, with the larger drives, but expanding the capacity only to a maximum of 1.25 TB or so, for 1.5 TB hard drives(or larger).

Don't know why Joey's attempt failed(apparently got hung up) on the expansion step. I would just recommend reviewing the Winmfs instructions again carefully, and try it again. If the same thing happens, maybe try switching or using different SATA connectors on the motherboard if that is the connection method.

If it still doesn't work, maybe there are mother board or hard drive issues, etc.

Just throwing out ideas. There will be others.

4. joey3002

joey3002 New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    thanks for feedback, i kept playing last night.. late late last night.

I got it working... what i had to do was after the restore and the pop up came up asking to expand, I said no.

I then went into the tools/resize area and did it that way.. never did the supersize part but that gave me 1.2tb about.. which is more than enough..

Hope this helps someone else that might be stuck in the future

5. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    Yup, but he said he had a Tivo HD which is why I chimed in. Still a good reminder for others.

And I was also aware that WinMFS would go up to about 1.2TB but since he had a 1.5TB drive and it's a simple matter of switching programs from WinMFS to JMFS (both freely available) I thought I would point it out.

My premiere to replace my S3 arrives Tuesday. The only thing wrong with my S3 is I didn't put lifetime on it when I bought it :p Oh well - it will go to a friend and I'll be able to eliminate the external drive. It would be nice if the Premiere supported 3TB drives - perhaps the new Elite will...

6. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Good. So exactly which model(number) Tivo do you have?

7. joey3002

joey3002 New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    S3

8. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Thought so.

Thanks.

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Go back and re-read the WinMFS instructions again.

There's something in there about the program appearing to be stalled but actually working in the background, and to be patient.