Upgrade/Grandfather Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by supersportsfan, Jan 6, 2012.

1. supersportsfan

supersportsfan New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    So, we have two Tivos; one Premiere and one HD. Streaming ALONE is enough to make me upgrade the HD to a Premiere. However, I am worried about my pricing structure...

I am paying $129/year for my Premiere, and am grandfathered on a $6.95 MSD on the HD...now, if I purchase a Premiere from Best Buy to upgrade my HD, am I going to lose my grandfathered MSD? If so, is there a way to swap my boxes around to avoid this? My hopes might be shot at the thought of paying 8 bucks more a month to upgrade...

2. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    If you drop the HD, you're going to lose any special status it brings. A new Premiere on an account with another Premiere is going to have standard pricing, at a very minimum until you fulfill the year commitment on the box

3. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Your going to loose that grandfathered rate. It is grandfathered to that device only. I would go with lifetime service on your new box and do away with your service fee alltogether... It will save you money in the not so long term.

4. supersportsfan

Sep 15, 2005
    I assume they did away with the ability to replace an existing box with a new one then?

5. supersportsfan

Sep 15, 2005
    Just as a reference for anyone else who might be in the same situation, I went ahead and called Tivo and got some info.

The CSR told me he "didn't realize they were still doing this" but after researching it for me, he came back with the word that if I bought the box "outright" with no commitment, I could tack my grandfathered $6.95 plan onto the new Premiere. Not a bad deal, but I figured I would be paying $300-$400 for the box...He told me it would only cost me $199! $100 more for the box sure beats jumping up $8/month for service.

6. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    wow that is good to know. If i would have known that i would have bought a 2nd premiere instead of going lifetime on my HD.