Upgrade From Roamio to Edge...World of Difference?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by michael1248, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Aug 1, 2020 #1 of 65
    michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002

Advertisements

Very happy with my Roamio and never even considered the Bolt. I’m also still using the old UI and not a big fan of the latest one. I understand there’s no way to go “back” on the Edge, like I was able to do on my Roamio.

Any Roamio owners out there who think upgrading to the Edge is really a huge overall improvement for the TiVo experience?

2. Aug 1, 2020 #2 of 65
    dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Question is, what do you think you're missing if you're happy with the experience you have?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

dishrich likes this.
  3. Aug 1, 2020 #3 of 65
    rbronco21

rbronco21 Member

Nov 1, 2005
    I'm in the same boat. I think the only thing I'd like is more responsiveness from the UI and new hardware to prevent age-related issues with my Roamio. What other benefits are there?

michael1248 likes this.
  4. Aug 1, 2020 #4 of 65
    dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Unfortunately it's due to a misguided mindset that if something is newer, it automatically HAS TO be better, you know... ;)

slowbiscuit and mrsean like this.
  5. Aug 1, 2020 #5 of 65
    michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002

Advertisements

Great question...not really that much!

6. Aug 1, 2020 #6 of 65
    bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    LIke you I prefer TE3. So I don't expect to move to the Edge until I don't have any other options. I have both a Roameo and a Bolt. The Bolt is faster than the Roameo, but not enough for that to be the only reason the change. The one place where there is a very noticeable difference, for me, is that Netflix loads much faster on the Bolt.

I don't have any experience with the Edge so I can't comment on its speed.

7. Aug 1, 2020 #7 of 65
    dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    I personally won't buy any new equipment from tivo because I don't see the point. They'll always have lackluster app support, and they won't bring androidtv to their dvr ecosystem. So might as well go with a Roamio for dvr duties and use your streaming device of choice.

If you like the old interface, stay with the roamio. I think there are some pluses to the new interface, but I didn't care for it and went back.

I'm actually selling off my gear and switching to channels for my OTA. But was all set to ditch my bolt and go back to a Roamio Basic for OTA. Still have my roamio pro, and that's been nothing but solid even if it is just a server now. Think I have about 150 movies on it to go through.

pj1983 likes this.
  8. Aug 1, 2020 #8 of 65
    dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Well, longstanding tivo owners know that is far from the truth...

pj1983, MScottC, mrsean and 1 other person like this.
  9. Aug 2, 2020 #9 of 65
    connie_w

connie_w Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 9, 2015
    Arizona
    I have only ever had Roamio OTA, which I absolutely love. Thought it might be time to look into upgrading. Went to TIVO site, however, there really is no upgrade that I could find. All I see for OTA is the Edge with only 2 tuners????!!!! My Roamio has 4 tuners. And, the Edge OTA is sold by Channel Master? What is going on?

Dan Cour likes this.
  10. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    One reason why I can't support any new dvr products. They're crap. Might be faster, but as a cable/OTA flipper, I'd have to buy two separate boxes to flip flop with when the bolt and roamio basic supported both. The Edge antenna is only two tuner and during the season I would often record two and watch a third. And the app selection still doesn't cover the gambit of regular streaming services. So I still need a separate streaming device.

So why buy new when Basics and Bolts are plentiful and fairly cheap on eBay?

11. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Very very happy with my Roamio Plus here... you can pry it from my cold dead hands.

Besides, it's still on its Lifetime subscription I purchased in 1999.

Dan Cour and dbpaddler like this.
  12. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Funny... I started parting out my tivo equipment in favor of channels. Has been very easy to sell my newer equipment, but I keep hanging on to my roamio pro which is prettyuch just a server with 100+ movies and a few full seasons of shows (like season 1 of true detective). I just can't part with it yet, along with my Mini in the theater room. Feel like I've had it for so long and there's so much on there I have to watch a bit of the content before I sell it. And if fios or xfinity comes at me with a basic or economy cable package that is a minimal increase over my internet package, then I can still jump on it.

13. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Nope, as you can see from the thread. Biggest drawbacks are that they've been too expensive w/lifetime service and that you're stuck with all of Tivo's ad nonsense in TE4 (not just the pre-roll ads, the Tivo+ junk in the guide you can't get rid of. Plus whatever they feel like forcing down your throat later).

The latest abomination was an inability to play stuff because Tivo's pre-roll ads weren't working and TE4 users were stuck with V117 errors. Completely unacceptable.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  14. connie_w

connie_w Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 9, 2015
    Arizona
    I am sometimes recording on 3 and watching another. I've complained the OTA's didn't have 6 tuners like the cable ones. Shoot, I'm so disappointed. I've been a very happy OTA customer. Now, i worry if my Roamio starts failing. I bought my Roamio OTA years ago when they were selling them for $49 regular price, plus subscription you choose.

15. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    They're plentiful on ebay with lifetime. You'll never have to worry as long as it fits your needs.

krkaufman and connie_w like this.
  16. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    I too keep looking at these deals for the newer boxes, but keep coming back to just hanging onto and riding it out with my Lifetime Roamio Plus. I put a 3.5" 3 TB WD Red drive in it day 1 and it still works fine feeding Comcast cable channels to my 6 Mini boxes as well via Ethernet or MoCA.

Now, for the streaming services, we do not use the Roamio or any of the Minis. We either have a Roku or Apple TV on each TV for streaming. So with that in mind, while the Roamio just hit 5 years this month, it's been solid (knock on wood).

Even if I net $300 selling my Roamio, I'd be paying another $338 (after taxes) to upgrade to an Edge per this deal with a smaller hard drive (in size and storage).

mrsean likes this.
  17. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Not to mention the Edge still uses 2.5" drives which aren't as reliable as 3.5 drives and aren't as plentiful in options for dvr type drives. Don't understand why they continued to use 2.5" drives when options for them are limited and they are less reliable. Just dumb. But that is just one item on a laundry list of dumb things most of us don't agree with.

tim1724, pj1983 and mrsean like this.
  18. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    I totally agree. There was widespread disapproval throughout the DVR user community when the Bolt debuted with a 2.5" hard drive. Literally, no one thought this was a step in the right direction. It was condemned here in the forums and by several well-regarded tech reviewers. And what did Tivo do with that constructive advice? .....give us the middle finger by doubling-down down on its piss poor design choice for the Edge. :rage:

dbpaddler likes this.
  19. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    As the computer industry has moved to laptops and away from towers small form drives and parts are becoming the norm. Bolts and Edges are built like laptops (pop the lid off and look). I give 3.5 drives another 5 years and then I don't think you'll see them produced anymore. Electronic devices are getting smaller and that where the market is going.

20. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Servers and such aren't going away anytime soon. Video/surveillance monitoring isn't going away. Are they all going small form factor? This isn't just about consumer use.

tim1724 and mrsean like this.