Upgrade and keep recordings?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Mastiff, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff Member

Sep 25, 2006
    I'm sure this has been covered, but I can figure out what to search on. If I upgrade from a Tivo HD to a premier, is there an easy way to keep my recordings?

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The only way to save your recordings for this type of upgrade is to transfer them to a computer using Tivo Desktop or an equivalent 3rd party application.
    Of course if the recordings are marked as copy protected, you're out of luck.

3. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    When I did that upgrade I set up the TP in the cellar on the network and xfered all the programs from the TiVo HD to the TP, took a few days but so what, as I did not have to be at the TiVo, then I sold the TiVo HD units. The TiVo web sight let you xfer the season passes.

4. jbell73

jbell73 Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Exactly. If you can try and set them up side-by-side. Then manually transfer any shows you want using a LAN connection. As mentioned Season Passes can be done via the Web (wait a week, and make sure they are both recording the same content or have the same to do list).

Then just shutdown/cancel the old TiVo. I did this for my Tivo P -> Elite and it took about 12 hours to copy my content (Premier X-Fers are much faster).

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The big problem with that is that you lose the metadata.. (at least this is true for me when xferring between S3 & TivoHD.. I have no info that this has been improved)..

e.g. you lose OAD, episode #, etc. Whereas if you download to a computer, you DO get all of this info. so it's lame that you don't get this when xferring between tivos. (Also, if you try to "save to VCR" a xferred show, virtually always it shows up as 8 minutes long, even though the whole show is there)

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    To keep almost all of the meta-data, use TiVo Desktop to copy from source TiVo, then copy from computer to target TiVo at your leisure.

Of course if the anti-copy bit was set, you're out of luck either way.

2 hours of best quality SD will take up a little more than 4GB on the computer (so use an NTFS partition instead of FAT32, or you'll have a lot of 1:55 shows instead of 2:00 shows).