Upgrade 1 tb to 3tb using old tivo hard drive question...

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by lapdog12, Apr 10, 2018.

1. lapdog12

lapdog12 Member

Dec 14, 2013
    I just bought a refurbished Tivo Plus 1tb off of Ebay. I plan on upgrading the hard drive on it using a 3tb hard drive I removed from my current Roamio Pro (upgraded to 8tb). Is there anything special I need to do for this swap? Will the tivo just accept and format the new 3tb drive without having to use MSFR?

I bought this for my girlfriend. I plan on setting it up at my place and then bringing it over to her place once I've got things started. We both have Spectrum, so I'm hoping it's just a matter of bringing it over and getting it set. Of course I would need her to get the cable card and tuning adapter. I was hoping I could do all the other channel/guide setup at my place saving time at hers.

Speaking of cable card. The tivo I bought comes with a cable card. Would I be able to use that one and not get charged by Spectrum?

Is there anything else I should keep in mind? Should I do a WD diagnostics on the old drive or blank it first?

Thanks for any tips or advice!

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    If you're talking about a Roamio Plus, you can go two ways. Either just stick the 3TB Roamio Pro drive in the Plus and run Clear & Delete Everything to 'marry' it to the motherboard, or run MFSR on the drive first. If you have an easy way to hook it up to a Windows computer MFSR is way faster than running C&DE and the resulting reformatted drive may perform better than the factory layout due to its 4K alignment. If it's a Bolt Plus, zero it with the WD diags first because there are slight differences in the layout.

The cable card in the new eBay Plus is iffy. If it's the same brand (Cisco or Motorola) as Spectrum uses in your area they MAY be willing to pair it with their system, but that's not guaranteed. Most providers won't touch a cable card unless the serial number is already in their system.

Running additional diags can't possibly hurt and I'd probably do it, but if it's a proven drive that you trust you can skip it.

ClearToLand likes this.
  3. lapdog12

lapdog12 Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Thanks for this amazing info! Yes, it is a Roamio Plus. I can easily mount this drive as my computer case has a hot swapping esata port.

Should I zero this out? I did that to the 8tb drive I installed in my Roamio Pro just to avoid any potential problems. The 3tb drive had been working quite well (knock on wood). I won't get the new tivo for a week or so while it's being shipped so I have time to do the complete write on the drive.

Thanks for the info on the cable card. I haven't seen it in person but the one far away pic showed a red label which is consistent with what I have in my current Tivo Roamio Pro.

Again, thanks for your time and info!

EDIT: I'm realizing now that if I zero out this 3tb drive I would then have to re-marry it to the new tivo correct? That might be a step I really don't want to do if not needed.

EDIT #2: A full scan from WD Diagnostics just finished (took about 6 hrs) and it passed. I then opened up MFSR and reformatted the drive. I can't wait to get the new Roamio Plus and install it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  4. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    Sounds like you decided not to zero it, which should be fine since it passed the long read test.

Let us know how it goes.

5. lapdog12

lapdog12 Member

Dec 14, 2013
    I did not just to avoid the step of mounting the drive to the new tivo to "bless" it and then back to my computer. To attach to my computer the HD has to slide into my dock on my computer case. That usually means taking the rails on and off twice and if I didn't have to do that, great.

I guess it's me being lazy for no reason. If you feel like I'll have a better HD by zeroing it out and then re-doing the "blessing" and MFSR I will certainly do that. I won't get the new tivo for at least a week, so I do have the time.

I 100% trust that your opinion is best in this matter and I'll do what you recommend.

I appreciate your time and advice.

6. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    I wasn't suggesting that you should zero the drive since it has already been in service and you ran the read test. The rails are a PITA, and I've never seen a Roamio factory drive fail yet.

7. lapdog12

lapdog12 Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Ok, great. I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything right for a smooth transition. Thanks again!