updating tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by catlvr4, Jan 18, 2006.

1. catlvr4

catlvr4 New Member

Sep 26, 2005

Advertisements

how do i make sure i have the latest version for tivo, and how do i go about getting it.
    i already got rid of my phone line :confused: should i have waited? i haven't got a wireless adaptor yet, cuz i was waiting to hear about the new one. i currently have a linksys wrt54g.
    can i still record manually w/out the tivo connecting every day til i get the adaptor?
    thanks
    deb

2. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I'm pretty sure a subscribed TiVo will eventually stop working if it doesn't connect to the TiVo servers after a while. Not sure how long that period is.

Now, when you combine a question about not having a landline for the TiVo to call in on with a question about a wireless adapter and another about "the latest version for TiVo", I have to assume you don't have the TiVo software that makes for easy, automatic connection without landline.

It would really have been a good idea to wait until it did before doing away with your hardwire phone.

Others will have to help with the details on getting your machine connected to the TiVo servers thru the internet. It's a little beyond me, especially now.

3. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    You check the system information screen for the software version. If you do not currently have v7.2.1a (for series 2) you need to allow it to connect to Tivo (landline or network) until it downloads and installs this latest version.

Not necessarily. With v5.3 or later you can use a network connection as long as the Tivo has been through guided setup.

4. catlvr4

catlvr4 New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    i checked and i have the latest version, 7.2.1. i may go find an adaptor that works at BB. i am just nervous because everyone keeps having problems w/ them.
    i don't want to pay for a phone line just for tivo, we don't even use our landline anymore.
    thanks
    deb