updating my tivo without phone line?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by iamsickofschool, Aug 15, 2007.

1. iamsickofschool

iamsickofschool New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    is there a way to update my tivo without a phone line? maybe like hooking up to the internet (through my computer of course)?

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Model Number?

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes.

Depending on the model , how.

Pretty well all can do serial PPP, except the Series 3 and TiVoHD, which have no serial port. You do that through a computer.

The Series 2 and Series 3 Standalones can network with USB network adapters, the DT and HD models with built in ethernet.

Series 1s can have a Turbonet or Cachecard added.

DirecTV TiVos can be hacked to eliminate the phone call and network. The R10 needs a hardware hack first. PPV Calls can only be made by the built in modem.

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I guess this week's Jeopardy is reruns.. (or else I'm having serious deja vu)

there was an answer along the lines of "this 4 letter company's dvr requires a phone line".. and I remember being annoyed the first time it came on that it didn't require a phone line then or now.
    (Though for my series 1s, I *do* need a phone line unless I want to pay a lot extra for the third party ethernet hacks.)