Updating Channels without Losing Season Passes Help (Comcast)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by FishersMike, Sep 27, 2010.

1. FishersMike

FishersMike New Member

Sep 20, 2010

Advertisements

Okay I tried to search other posts but was not successful in finding my answer, so I apologize if this has been answered before.

My sister has lots of Season Passes (like 60) and she did not go through her channels and remove the non-HD channel from channel line up. So I went through all of her channels and removed all channels that had an HD on it, and made sure no duplicate channels anymore. Especially with Comcast updating they sometimes have 3 or 4 channels for one.

Here is the deal, however, the TO DO list shows the non-HD Channel. If I click on it and select other episodes, it does then list the only channel it is on, the HD one. So what I had done is go through EVERY TO DO list item and changed it to the HD Channel which essentially canceled the other one.

Now my question is -- since I did this for the entire two weeks of guide data, is the system in the future going to be smart enough to look for those shows on the new HD channel? I do not want to have to re-run setup and type in all the Season Passes! Anything I can do? Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    You will need to delete and recreate the Season Passes. I had the same situation with the Syfy channel when an HD version was made available. I was curious why the TiVo kept recording the SD version, even after the channel had been removed from my "channels received" list!

Note: If you have a bit of patience, I'm working on a python script that *may* be able to recreate those Season Passes programatically, using "customized" urls found on the tivo.com website. I don't know when it will be finished, or if it will actually work. I have used the customized urls to successfully create Season Passes on my TiVos; it's just getting the program to do it that is the current challenge...

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You should have been in the season pass manager to do this.

Highlight a pass, press select, select view upcoming episodes, Press select on the show on the list without the :up:, Get a season pass.

Next to remove the old pass off the other channel, just repeat above but select the other channel and modify season pass, and cancel.

4. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Thread bump. Is there any easier way to do this? My local Fox affiliate changed from channel 12-1 to 9-1 (which used to be CW). I don't want to have to go through all my 12-1 season passes and change them to 9-1. This is a pain, especially when some of the shows don't have any upcoming episodes. I suppose I could set up auto-record WLs for those, but that's a pain too.

5. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID

Advertisements

Well, I just went through my season pass list and created new passes. I only had five on Fox, so it wasn't much effort. Turns out the change occurred more than a week ago and I missed a couple shows. That's annoying.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    In the SP manager, highlighting the SP to remove and then pressing the clear button is a whole lot easier and faster.

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    That wasn't an option the way I did it. To avoid having the new SP conflict with the old, after I got the episode list, I selected one that was set to record, update season pass, delete season pass, back up to list, select an episode on the HD channel, create new season pass, back up to SP manager, select next SP. Wash-Rinse-Repeat.:)

8. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    You have a very convoluted method there and what I posted was an option, just one that you chose to not use because you think you needed to do it the hard way.

9. vectorcatch

vectorcatch New Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Have you tried rerunning guided setup? Sometimes it will reallocate the channels on season passes for you if it can map the channel call sign.

10. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Whoa! Somebody around here is a bit full of himself, and it certainly isn't me.

I explained why I did it that way, which you chose to ignore. I didn't denigrate your "option". Overall, I don't see how your method is all that much, if any, easier, particularly since it only addresses ONE STEP of a multi-step process. The object is not just to delete the current SPs, it is to replace them. Doing it your way, if I delete the old SP before I create the new one, I no longer have an easy way of getting a list of upcoming episodes from which to create the new SP. I would also have to exit SP manager in order to do so. If I wait until after I create the new SP, I will get conflicts when I create the new one so at the very least I will have the additional step of telling the TiVo to get all episodes of the SP.

FWIW, I do use your option when the object is simply to delete the SP.

BTW, my method is nearly identical to ThAbtO's, except I delete the existing SP first.

11. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Yes, you did. You chose to do the create one delete one, create one delete one, create one delete one using a convoluted method. I didn't say it was wrong. I didn't say it was stupid, I didn't say it was anything other than convoluted. I didn't say you should have done anything any differently. I gave an option.

I'd re-create all SP's first and then delete the old ones. Using the option I came here to give.

The one who is full of himself is the one that can't accept that his convoluted method isn't the only option.

12. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I never said that it was "the only option". You may not have explicitly said that I was an idiot, but did say that my method is "convoluted" and that I only did it that way because I "needed to do it the hard way". The inference that I drew from that is that you think your way is the easier, superior way and that anyone who does it differently is an idiot or neurotic. Why else would someone need to do it the hard way?

To reiterate, You gave an option for one step, one, so let me ask you something: Can you spell out explicit, step-by-step instructions for doing what the OP needs to do? Saying "I'd re-create the new SPs then delete the old ones." doesn't cut it. Careful though, don't want to make it "convoluted". Start at TiVo Central. How would you create the new SP?