Updates

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by TRoss68, Apr 28, 2019.

1. TRoss68

TRoss68 Member

Sep 13, 2014

Advertisements

Can you control when TiVo updates?

2. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Most of the time, no. Sometimes TiVo will let you sign up for a pre-release and you'll get the software earlier.

You can forgo the new experience (TE3>TE4) upgrade as that's not being forced on anyone... unless something strange happens.

TiVo doesn't let you skip or opt out on updates.

TRoss68 likes this.
  3. TRoss68

TRoss68 Member

Sep 13, 2014
    OK, thank you. I was wondering because these updates seem to happen when we are recording something. It's always right in the middle of a show and then TiVo reboots. Yes, the show then continues to record and pick up where it left off, but its kind of annoying at times.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Normally the updates are scheduled after 2am. Is that when yours is rebooting or is your TiVo crashing and rebooting? Updates are not that frequent on TE4 and there hasn't been one for TE3 in quite some time (and we may not get any more).

Scott

5. TRoss68

TRoss68 Member

Sep 13, 2014

Advertisements

Normally, it's after 2 am but from what I saw it wasn't a crash. Is there a way to see if it was a crash?

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I guess you know I'm a little obsessive on how my TiVo's are behaving. I have always received updates during the time a service connection would happen. This also blocks the guide update. Service connections are always scheduled from 2am to 6pm only unless a restart is forced about 5pm. I believe that without human intervention the restart will occur after 2am. A service connection is scheduled for soon after any restart. I admit that when I see a "Pending", I put the unit into Standby and power cycle. Right now that's a TE4 only thing.

I'm not sure how to define crash. The time of a restart is shown in the cable card status menu and in Diagnostics since there is a timer for each tuner and one for the cable card. Also, a restart causes all tuners to be on the same channel when its finished.

TE3 hasn't had an update in about a year.

7. TRoss68

TRoss68 Member

Sep 13, 2014
    I forgot to mention this is a replacement Romio Pro. My old one was 6-7 years old and just stopped working. I'm also guessing that these updates are to get the unit up to date.