Updated to TE4 but now Zoom buttons don't work

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by DasBub, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Apr 4, 2019 #1 of 10
    DasBub

DasBub New Member

Apr 4, 2019
    Hi. My Roamio was updated overnight, apparently successfully, but now the zoom buttons on the remotes don't zoom... They just act like back buttons or something similar.

These are the S5 remotes, not the Vox ones.

Does the Roamio think we're using a different model remote or something?

The "remote diagnostics" are useless, of course.

2. Apr 5, 2019 #2 of 10
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    That does sound like it thinks you are using an earlier remote without a Back button so Zoom is used as Back. Is your remote paired via RF? If not, you might try getting it paired.

Scott

DasBub likes this.
  3. Apr 5, 2019 #3 of 10
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What do you mean by “updated”?

The ‘Zoom’ action changed with Hydra, I thought. (edit: Hydra Zoom)

DasBub likes this.
  4. Apr 6, 2019 #4 of 10
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Zoom is now Change Panel Mode and can be found in the ribbon when INFO is hit. It will only show up on programs that are “zoomable.”

What once was the ZOOM button is now EXIT.

DasBub likes this.
  5. Apr 6, 2019 #5 of 10
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I thought that was the case before I replied from what I had recalled reading here but when I searched TiVo's support I found the following article.

Tivo Customer Support Community

This indicated that only on the older remotes does the Zoom button act as Exit or Back with TE4. Is this documentation incorrect?

Note:
    • For all Series 1-3 Remotes (without the A, B, C, D buttons) and the original Slide Remote, ZOOM will work as ‘EXIT’ if your Unified Entertainment System/ DVR is running the TiVo Experience 4.
    • Series 4 and original TiVo Mini Remotes (has the A, B, C, D buttons without BACK), ZOOM will act as 'BACK' on the TiVo Experience 4.
    • Series 5, 6, VOX, and Slide Pro Remotes already have a 'BACK' button.

LIVE TV, INFO, and ZOOM:
    • ZOOM: Press Zoom to change the aspect ratio of shows on your TV or to return to full-screen from the Video Window.

Scott

DasBub likes this.
  6. DasBub

DasBub New Member

Apr 4, 2019
    I mean the Roamio and the Minis were force updated to TE4 without asking me, in the middle of the night. They're owned by my cable provider, so I guess that's fair enough. It's still an unpleasant thing to wake up to, people complaining that things look different and buttons "aren't working".

7. DasBub

DasBub New Member

Apr 4, 2019
    It's a weird change. Why wouldn't they just map the Zoom button to cycle through Change Panel Mode options?

8. DasBub

DasBub New Member

Apr 4, 2019
    It's a Series 5 remote, so it does have a back button already, but I guess they figured I needed an extra one ;)

All the remotes are RF paired properly, but you'd never know it from the information the box gives you. The Remote Control Setup page has the "Pair your remote with your TiVo box [UNKNOWN]" option... The UNKNOWN doesn't change whether you have a paired remote or no paired remotes.

The Remote Control Diagnostics page is apparently only good for Vox remotes, since my S5 remotes show as unpaired and no battery level, despite being definitely paired.

It would take so little effort for them to make this useful.

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That little is too much. The System Information line for battery level does work. Even with a Roamio and dongle the battery level works.

If I see an amber LED, it's paired.

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Because they are using it for something else.

Meanwhile, there are fewer and fewer channels that panel mode actually does anything. Only 4x3 programming. Anything in 16x9, it does not work. Both SD and HD.