Update the firmware/GUI without losing the recordings?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Johnny Danger, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Feb 4, 2019 #1 of 16
    Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Is there a way to Update the firmware/GUI without losing the recordings?

The menu GUI screen is very distorted. Originally I thought this was an isolated incident on my theater but now its happening on my TV as well.

Video look fine when playing recording or live TV but the TIVO GUI itself is messed up.

Please help.

Thanks.

*UPDATE: The problem has been 100% solved by the advise given to me by " Diana Collins" The TIVO tech support was worthless, Only telling me to unplug the power, change the HDMI cable, etc.. They told me my unit was unable to be fixed and wanted to charge me a ton of money to return it. The information Dianna fixed the problem in less than 2 minutes.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  2. Feb 5, 2019 #2 of 16
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Can you post a picture of what you are seeing?

Scott

3. Feb 5, 2019 #3 of 16
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    A basic question, but: have you tried a restart of the box? That can fix issues.

4. Feb 5, 2019 #4 of 16
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Change the resolution in the Tivo settings.

DBrunetti likes this.
  5. Feb 6, 2019 #5 of 16
    Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Oh yeah, I reset the box many times, even moved to a new TV, change the HDMI cable, HDMI port on the TV,etc...

6. Feb 6, 2019 #6 of 16
    Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    I tried this too and it did not work. In fact, the lower resolution of 480 made the problem even worse!

7. Feb 6, 2019 #7 of 16
    Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  8. Feb 6, 2019 #8 of 16
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Make and model of TV?

9. Feb 6, 2019 #9 of 16
    Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    To force a reinstall of the current software, you need to use kick-start code 52. Entering a kick-start code can be tricky, and the exact procedure depends on the TiVo model.

For instructions and a list of kick-start codes see: TiVo Kickstart Codes and Information

Use at your own discretion (and peril!) :)

Nony_ID, Mikeguy and Johnny Danger like this.
  10. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Is this suppose to delete all the recordings?

I was on TIVO tech support chat for hours and I was asking if they had an escalated next level support who knew how to force a software reinstall instead they just had be do low level stuff like reset the machine, unplug and plug in the cables again and when that did not work, they had I had to send the entire machine back for repair.

This is exactly the type of thing I was looking for and expected TIVO tech support level 2 or level 3 to be able to try before saying my only choice was to return the entire machine to them.

Thank you.

11. Diana Collins

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    No, this is supposed to just reinstall the current version - effectively acting like it is a new version. Not sure if it will fix the problem, but it does what you asked for. ;)

As for TiVo tech support, it is rare that you find someone with the sort deep historical knowledge that folks around here have. They just follow whatever the support script says.

Johnny Danger likes this.
  12. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    OMG, this actually worked!!!!!!!! You are a genius

I have been trying to fix this for a week, hours and hours with customer service. They were even speaking to a level of tech support which has not allowed to talk to customers and relying the information back to me.

They claim they exhausted every possible troubleshooting technique and the unit had to be return. There was nothing left to do.

I was continuously asking if they had a level 2 support rep, or a level 3 support rep. I asked if they had a database of past problems with possible solutions.

I even flat out asked if there was a way to reinstall the software/firmware on the system. They never gave me an option to do this or even indicated that it was possible.

Then, this information you gave me fixed the problem in less than 2 minutes. This was such support malpractice on their end.

I'm very happy with the information you gave me and extremely disappointed with TIVO tech support. I guess that is what happens when you outsource your support to an offshore call center. I wonder if I should inform them of the solution to the problem or if they will get upset that a solution was found that they did not recommend.

I hope in the future if anyone else has this problem, they will find this post and it will help them.

You should get an award or something!

Thanks again.

13. Diana Collins

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Glad it worked!

You might notice from my profile that I have been a member here, admittedly off and on, for over 16 years. I remember putting second hard drives INSIDE the Series 2 boxes (they had that much room), doing disk upgrades with PATA drives, and running a Web Server on my TiVo.

A lot of things have changed, but the old kickstart process still comes in handy sometimes.

windracer likes this.
  14. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Sigh. :(

(I always thought that part of tech. support qualifications should be the following of the manufacturer's forum (for TiVo, that would be this forum, given the (effective or otherwise) absence otherwise). I guess, not.)

Nony_ID likes this.
  15. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Interesting that it worked as the picture you posted doesn't look like it could be caused by a software issue (but glad it worked for you).

Scott

josim likes this.
  16. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    That is a classic hdmi issue. Pretty weird it only happened on the GUI. Might have happened on any static image.