UPDATE on my previous question come on tivo people!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by truckguyfl, Aug 14, 2011.

1. truckguyfl

truckguyfl New Member

Dec 9, 2010
    These are my first two tivos in the pictures. I NOW OWN A BRAND NEW HD TIVO I BOUGHT last week. The tivo I bought last week I pay monthly on The questions I have are. (pics below)

1. The black tivo is broken BUT HAS THE lifetime service. The black one is broken but the silver one works perfectly (except I didn't continue the service on it) Can I swap parts out from my working tivo to my old tivo that has the life time subscription and get it to work?

2. What part of the tivo holds subscription information

Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    The subscription info is in the crypto chip on the motherboard.

You can't swap anything between those two models. You could use the hard drive from the S2DT but it would have to be reformatted with the appropriate operating system for the other model.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Depends upon what is "broken", you can likely replace the hard drive in the old one to continue using it.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That looks like a TCD140xxx or 240xxx.

(They're fairly well known for having a particular capacitor in the power supply go bad.)

What are its symptoms?

What you call the silver one is a TCD649xxx, a dual tuner.

There are no parts in it usable in the black one worth the trouble, and none that will solve your problem.

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The 140 PSU is totally different, in shape anyways, than the PSU in a 240. It is known 240 and 540 PSUs are interchangeable, at least if only one drive is used. I don't know about the 649.

The HDD can be used, but needs imaged for the DVR model it is going in, and the image needs to be smaller or the identical size (number of sectors, not just nominal GB) drive.

The identity (crypto chip) cannot go in a totally different model TiVo.

What you can do, is buy another of the same model TiVo as your black one, and move the crypto chip which has Product Lifetime over to it.

6. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The 649 power supply doesn't have a 3.3.V output section at all.

7. truckguyfl

truckguyfl New Member

Dec 9, 2010
    any picture or diagram of that chip?

8. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It's square, with 8 or 10 or 11 legs on each side, and it says ATMEL on top.

It's also a surface mount device, which makes it trickier to unsolder and re-solder than stuff with legs that stick through holes in the circuit board.

In other words it needs to be done by someone who's done it sucessfully before, who's had some experience with the special kind of solder alloy needed to get it to release before you damage the chip with too much heat. Someone with expereience working under a magnifying lamp with a soldering iron with a teeny tip.

I did it on a Series 2 dual tuner model, after practicing on a bad S3 board I bought to cannibilize SMD capacitors from, and it was nerve-wracking and I owe my success to luck as much as anything else. Did I mention I got my first soldering iron about half a century ago and went through a one-year electronics servicing course at the local community college, once during the 70s and again during the 90s?

If it weren't for 2TB of recordings tied to the chip I moved from a board gone bad to a good one, I would have just transferred the subscription to the new board and taken the financial hit.

9. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Yeah. A few days ago I encouraged someone on one of these threads to attempt a re-solder job on a TiVo power supply. I stand by that recommendation. In this situation, however, it' just the opposite. I don't recommend anyone who is not an expert with a soldering iron try re-working a multi-layer SMD board. I *AM* an expert with a soldering iron, and I would not attempt it without the specialized tools designed specifically for re-working an SMD board. Even then, I would not attempt it with one of the denser SMD devices. My eyes are no longer what they used to be, and neither are my hands.

Yeah, me, too. I put together my first Heathkit electronics kit when I was 13 - an 8 channel Radio Control transmitter, receiver, and servos.

Interesting. I worked as an electronics engineer and lab tech for five years at two different Universities in the middle to late 1970s.

I had the board re-work on my S3 and THD units done by someone else - someone much younger and much more practiced with SMD re-work.

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    How did you find someone who would move a surface mount chip, and how much did it cost?

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you looking to swap a crypto chip, or socket a PROM?

12. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    To the OP,

Just to try to gather all the info from this thread into a concise post.

First of all, the "silver" TiVo is a model TCD649 DT (dual tuner). The "black" TiVo is a model TCD240 ST (single tuner). It also looks like the power supply in the TCD240 is loose. It doesn't look square to the case.

Parts cannot be swapped between these units. The hard drive can be swapped, but you would need to put the right version of the TiVo software onto the drive. The TiVo software is specific to the model number.

The lifetime subscription is tied to a crypto chip on the motherboard. This is marked "AMTEL." The only way to transplant this chip from one Tivo to another TiVo is if BOTH TiVos are the exact same model. Which is not what you have.

The major parts that fail on a TiVo are, in order of frequency: the Hard Disc Drive (HDD), the power supply, and the fan. Failure of the first two would render the TiVo unusable. If the fan fails, then the unit will get hot and then the hard drive or the power supply would fail.

One way to determine what has failed is by what happens when you apply power to the unit. If you get the "grey" screen that says "Powering up, please wait..." and the HDD spins up, then it is the hard drive that has failed. If you don't hear the HDD spinning, then the power supply is dead.

You could try to reload the software onto the existing HDD or a new HDD. You can do this for free, if you get someone to send you a drive image. I have drive images for both of your units.

If you don't want to save the TCD649 (the silver TiVo), you could load the TCD240 software onto the HDD from it and see if that fixes the problem in the black TiVo. If the TiVo will boot upto the main TiVo screen, you have fixed it. You would need to do a Clear and Delete Everything (C&DE) to marry the HDD to the motherboard. This would then force you to re-run Guided Setup.

Hope that helps,
    robomeister

13. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I didn't look that closely at the pictures, but now that I do, prompted by your post, it looks like there's a TCD540xxx power supply sitting where the power supply is supposed to and the original 240 power supply sitting loose on top of the motherboard, where it can slid around and short out who knows what (if it hasn't already).

Under no circumstances should that 240 be plugged in until after it's been seen to by someone who knows what they're doing, which, I fear, excludes the OP.