Update on comcast / tivo guide issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bobster954, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Jan 3, 2012 #1 of 29
    bobster954

bobster954 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    After literally 10s of hours over a few weeks, resetting tivo, contacting comcast, talking to tivo reps, I finally found one tivo rep that actually looked up the issue.

Apparently some comcast customers using tivo received messed up guide info, either from comcast or from tivo.

A large number of channels will disappear from the guide and/or be listed as 'to be announced'.
    Many, if not most, seem to be HD channels.
    Some channels will show 'sign off'.

Zap2it (whatever the site is ) will show the same messed up info for your comcast zipcode (to be announced channels will not show up, but the sign off channels will).

After repeated attempts to get any answer from tivo they could only say they are back from vacation/holidays and are working on it. I should check back in a week to see if they are close. A week.
    For some of us, this started 2 1/2 weeks ago.

So, no...it is not your tivo so do not waste time resetting it, redoing the guided setup, etc... Do not call comcast, waste of time (as usual).
    There is nothing you can do except call tivo and complain about nothing being done.

Your cust rep will not at first look it up. They will attempt to help you fix the tivo and waste your time. Do not let them do this.

Good luck waiting for the fix. Very annoying to lose so many channels for near a month on the guide. Good thing I don't use a dvr that needs that info...oh wait, it is a dvr and I do need that info.

tired of missing shows.

2. Jan 3, 2012 #2 of 29
    shaunrose

shaunrose New Member

Sep 13, 2001
    I have had the same problem and all of my series 2 tivos are now useless. People from Tivo used to be very responsive on these boards when there were problems like this. Is that no longer the case?

I have 3 series 2 boxes that can no longer get guide data from Comcast. I tried running guided setup using different local zip codes to no avail. I am very interested to see whether Tivo will fix this.

3. Jan 3, 2012 #3 of 29
    shaunrose

shaunrose New Member

Sep 13, 2001
    One workaround I found after unsuccessfully trying every zip code in the County, is to disable the dual tuner feature. When running guided setup, it will ask you if you hooked up your tivo using a splitter. I answered no. This means Tivo will only record things through your cable box (which means one program at a time). Tivo is now working again.

4. Jan 4, 2012 #4 of 29
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If any of these are broadcast channels, even if you're getting them over cable, call the actual station, who cares which channel you watch, and get them to get ugly with Tribune Media.

5. Jan 4, 2012 #5 of 29
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    The Tivo employees have all but disappeared from this site because of the way they were being treated by people here.

6. Jan 5, 2012 #6 of 29
    bobster954

bobster954 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Well, it gets better.

After my amazing number of resets and guide resets over the holidays (that wasted my time) and phone calls to comcast and tivo, as noted above a rep finally looked it up and said it was not my tivo but a comcast update that went wrong. Many were affected by it.

I was told to write to cust service for tivo so I could get an update. When I wrote they said I needed to do a guided setup and wait 5 days and completely ignored the continuing issue.

Today I called to get an update. Tivo rep said it was my tivo or cable card and had nothing to do with them. There was nothing tivo could do, not their problem. He refused to look up the issue or acknowledge there was one.
    I was very upset and asked to speak to billing about a refund for it not working (I have a lifetime on my 4 month old unit).

He laughed at me and told me 'now the ulterior motive for your call comes out' ha ha ha...He laughed at me. A month of missed programs and a messed up guide and he laughed at me.
    I went off on him and told him to stop laughing. I demanded again and again to speak to billing and he would not do it.
    I finally really went off and he sent me to billing.

After a long discussion the billing guy admitted there was an issue with the update affecting more than just me....and still insisted it was probably my cable card and I should call comcast (which I have done a few times).
    The admin is going over the phone call as I complained about the rep.

So, where does the issue stand? Some Tivo reps say it is comcast and it is your individual box that has an issue (and obviously, zap2it is having the same issue).
    Some tivo reps acknowledge a wide problem affecting many and it is not your box or your cable card.
    Some say it is a mix of both.

And of course, some reps will just laugh at you.

Prognosis: My best guess is they are working on it. There is no update on the issue, most reps do not even know it is an issue.
    Time to get fixed: ? Been about a month now and have no clue.

I have asked to speak to someone about a refund and have been told that comcast should issue me a refund...sigh.
    They are going to contact me about it.

For those not in the know on this, a large number of channels went to 'to be announced' or 'sign off', mostly HD channels..about 80 as far as I can tell. Mostly ones I watch (comedy central, msnbc, cnn, fox business, and even some premiums).

I am losing the ability to use my dvr or channel surf the guide in HD.
    I have wasted countless hours on unneeded reboots and guide setups.
    Now tivo rep is laughing at me and saying I have an ulterior motive in my calls.

I may have no choice but to get a worthless comcast hddvr again and take both comcast and tivo to small claims court to try to recoup some lost money and find out what is really going on.

500 lifetime, 100 dvr unit, and I bought the wireless network unit, and the slide remote.....that is a lot of money for something that is not working as intended.

After that call I learned no one has a clue when how or if it will be fixed and I am a moron for even calling about it.

7. Jan 5, 2012 #7 of 29
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If the lineup is wrong on zap2it, then Tribune Media Services has it wrong. You should contact TMS (through zap2it) and Comcast. You might also consider asking Comcast for a refund and tell them that you will filing a complaint with the FCC as their failure to inform TMS of the lineup change appears to be a deliberate attempt to get you to use their DVR, which is serious violation of FCC regs..

I would also contact TiVo and report that idiot CSR.

8. Jan 5, 2012 #8 of 29
    Kilbey

Kilbey New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    I just signed up with Caomcast on Monday. I have yet to have a single guide entry read anything other than "to be announced". I've had the Series3 for about 4.5 years and just pulling OTA signals. Worked fine for all that time. We moved and I can't get many OTA channels so I thought I'd try Comcast's basic package. Actually, I needed internet service and the cable was a nice bonus. I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out this problem.

9. Jan 5, 2012 #9 of 29
    TiVoMargret

TiVoMargret VP Product Dev & Chief Design Officer, TiVo

Feb 2, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    If you send me email with the ZIP codes that don't have correct information, and which channel names/numbers are missing info, I can help.

margret at tivo.com

10. Kilbey

Kilbey New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Thanks!!!

Zip: 46227

Pretty much all my HD channels that I receive.

11. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You need to get a CableCARD (or two, if it is an original Series 3 OLED). The channels you posted are from a TiVo channel scan for "clear QAM" channels. TiVo does not provide guide data for those. One of the things a CableCARD does is provide mapping of those channels to the cable channels, for which there is guide data available.

12. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I suppose we can't actually take the cable companies out and shoot them, but is being able to administer a severe horsewhipping, followed by tarring and feathering, too much to ask?

13. bobster954

bobster954 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    okay another update....

I called comcast today and their answer was I am not supposed to be receiving hd channels. When I mentioned that many other channels besides HD ones were messed up they did not know what to say.

After arguing that HD service is part of my plan I finally decided to give up on comcast trying to fix this and lowered my service a bit, still receiving HD though, as my plan does allow.

I called tivo. After the horrid call the other day I was not sure anything would get done there either.

Well, my tirade the other day (rightful one by the way) seemed to have escalated my call to someone who did a few things..

1- acknowledged that is was not my tivo and actually saw the info on zap2it confirming that.

2- explained that tribune media services is where they get the data and contacting them is the way to go. (of course there seems no way I can contact them).

3- for the first time, actually gave me a timeline, the rep said 2 or 3 weeks once I get them a list of the channels. When he saw the number of channels I gave them he said it would be investigated.

I did not give him a full listing of the channels since I de-selected a lot I do not have or watch (like a lot of 500s and 600s). But more than enough to show a serious guide issue.

This has been a tremendous pain calling tivo and comcast and getting different answers each time. From tivo vs comcast, to 'not supposed to get those channels' to 'wait 5 days for it to work right' to 'a lot of people are having this issue' to 'only you are having this issue'

ugh.

almost a full month and only now does someone at one of the companies seem to care and is trying to fix it.
    In all the calls, only one tivo rep and zero comcast reps confirmed it was not just me...only one. All the rest said it was me.

In all the calls only one actually worked on a resolution, the last guy, and gave me a timeline.

I had already made my decision to throw away the 800 bucks or so I blew on tivo and just put it in a room with an antenna and just call direct tv, canceling comcast.

The tivo rep I spoke to today did not laugh at me, did not tell me it was my tivo. He looked and listened to my issues and immediately recognized a problem and came up with a solution and a possible timeline.

So, are you having this issue with comcast and tivo? Good luck.
    Comcast is ignorant and calling them will do nothing.
    Tivo is your only hope and good luck, eventually you will get someone that will help I hope.

I guess in all this, the biggest issue from both companies is they did not listen. They all assumed my tivo was set up wrong. They all assumed I knew little and was ignorant and a simple fix like reseting the tivo would work it out.

All reps save 2 at tivo ignored the entire line of proof it was not my unit. The number of times comcast resent a signal or wanted a truck roll was insane. The number of times I redid the guided setup to different zip codes meant hours of wasted time.

When the first tivo rep that actually looked it up and saw others with the same issue I knew for a fact it was not my tivo. When zap2it had the same issues with their guide, I knew for a fact it was not my tivo.

yet no one listened. Explaining over and over, no one listened.
    Each rep, on both sides, took me to the extreme of doing the same exact useless things, making the same 'its your fault' comments.

oh, and then the tivo rep that laughed at me for wanting to speak to billing and then refused to transfer me....'my ulterior motive' for calling he said..

that was the nail in the coffin.

I am now regretting the tivo unit, almost completely. 500 lifetime + 100 + a few hundred on other stuff versus the horrid 15/month comcast DVR..

now I am not sure I made the right decision. (both for using comcast and for using tivo.).

Going to u-verse is impossible in my area and the satellites in my area have had their contracts bought out by some company called primecast which is like the evil untrained version of comcast..

I might just go antenna and watch stuff online, it is getting to insane.

14. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Have you tried this? (TMS owns zap2it).

What is your zip code, what lineup did you specify, and what are a couple of the missing channels (channel # and callsign)?

I am assuming that you have a CableCARD installed and it is paired to the TiVo.

15. Kilbey

Kilbey New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Well, my problem ended up having a pre-school basic solution.

CableCards.

In my ignorance I didn't think I needed any, but I guess I did.

16. bobster954

bobster954 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    I sent a mail to tms and I sent the info to the tivo guy who is gonna look into it.

it is not the card nor any other issue on my end.
    zap2it clearly has the same issue as all the 'to be announced' channels no longer show on their guide either. I can still view the channels, but guide is screwed.

33063 comcast margate florida area.
    look at 401 = sign off
    most of 466 to 477 is missing entirely, just one grouping of channels.
    470 is HD cnbc.

it is not my tivo.

17. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Yeah, looks either TMS screwed up or Comcast provided incorrect lineup data to TMS. My money is on it being Comcast.

One other thing - you should be getting a "customer owned equipment" credit. However, if you have more than one digital outlet and there is no "additional digital outlet fee" on your bill, you might want to leave it alone, unless you can determine that such a fee is not allowed under the local franchise agreement.

18. kwajr

kwajr New Member

Dec 31, 2010
    tivo.com/setupandsupport/contactsupport/lineup_tool.htm i have used this 3 times in six months and each time they have fixed in less then 5 days.they send it to tribune

19. bobster954

bobster954 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Big Update:

1- comcast in dark
    2- tivo higher ups called me, yes called me.
    3- they analyzed the issue and have found a problem with the guide info they are receiving for some areas. They are working to resolve this issue that is affecting many and expect it to be about 10 days.

Extremely nice to know that it is not my tivo (as I said all along) and that it is acknowledged others are having this issue.

They are working on it as a known issue now and are diagnosing how to prevent it from happening again and streamlining response should it happen again.

After a month, this is refreshing and relaxing to know it is gonna be fixed now.

For my troubles they offered me a slide remote...dang it, already bought one. But it was nice of them.

The best part of the call was finally being able to explain my grid guide sort option to someone higher up who actually liked the idea and will pass it on for sure.

To digress:

If you look at the grid the channels are all over the place. The only options you have are one favorites setup or a filtered setup. I wanted a third option, a user specified order of channels.

I have many HD channels and many that are not. I wanted to group the channels of interest together and in the order I wanted. Instead of trying to go to 470 hd cnbc, then surfing for 33x hd msnbc, then 420 hd local news channel, I wanted to be able to manually move them around to be next to each other.

I could have all my news channels all next to each other so I can just hit up or down to surf and not have to go to the guide to find channels or type in a large number of half-remembered numbers.

I could put all my bio, history, etc channels together, news together, throw in some non HD channels in that mix....and get all 20 or 30 channels i watch in one grouping in the guide and easily be able to go up/down through them without going to the guide. (the channels still keep their assigned number, the only change is physically moving them around in the guide and the order when using up/down while channel surfing)

Also move around the other channels I might want to sort through too.

hard to explain, but once you understand it, it is the ultimate guide use and much desired.

20. baycyd

baycyd New Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Thanks Margaret

Channels 35-61 only say "to be announced" on channel guide