1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update for old interface?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rgr, Feb 13, 2018.

1. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I see a lot of posting about updates to Hydra, and none on any update for the old interface. It seems like Hydra still needs work before I want to use it and was wondering if the old interface will ever have another update. Or is what we have now the end of the road for that product?

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    TiVo Ted pretty much said it was end of the road for general updates for the gen 3 UI and they were concentrating their efforts on Hydra although they are doing the home automation feature (not UI update) for gen 3.

Scott

rgr likes this.
  3. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Gen 3 (didn't know it had a name) seems pretty stable as a UI. I'd be happy if they keep it current by adding functionality, like the home automation.

Thanks.

chicagobrownblue likes this.
  4. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    They're planning on backporting database changes from Hydra to Gen3 specifically to enable the IFTTT auto-skip functionality (at least unless something has changed in the last two weeks)...so I'm hopeful the Gen3 UI still has *some* juice left in it.

5. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    That IS good news!

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but my fear is that if there are indeed DB changes needed for this, it will also kill transfers.

7. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    Why don't they just kill everything? They are doing a pretty good job of it. I guess all the people with the good ideas and skills have left, hence Hydra, the "perfectly ready" for distribution "upgrade"...Be a long time for many of us, if ever.

They still can't fix For Years, the Resume Point sometimes being lost when watching a currently recording program and truthfully, I am sick of the delete message coming up when going into My Shows near the end of a recording. I, ME, Myself want to decide when it pops up, and for me it is AT THE END OF THE RECORDING. Who came up with that anyway? User Options maybe??? Also the current V3.2.5 Android App just loves to lose the resume point if you get kicked out or even if you get out And I cannot even install any of the older version APK's I have saved (rotten apples can't do that to begin with). HOPELESS...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::confused:o_O:D

DO THE ABOVE TWO COMPLAINTS (not counting the App complaint) WORK THE SAME IN HYDRA, I WONDER? (I think I know the answer)

Oops...I made a rant. In an unrelated thread, no less. Sorry...;):rolleyes::D

8. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Since I turn off my modem each night, pretty much every morning a GUI refresh is required for a NotHydra Roamio. That was Not necessary before the last update.

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'd be happy if they just fix existing bugs. Diagnostics in a basic Roamio & Bolt don't display RS Corrected errors. Cable card always displays Paired: No. There are others.

Mikeguy likes this.
  10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You can complain about this feature but I think this works correctly the way it's programmed (although providing an option would of course be fine for users that don't like it).

Scott

samccfl99 and Mikeguy like this.
  11. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Is this a Bolt thing? I can't find this on my Roamios.

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No Bolt. Paired is just below the "always zero" cable card MAC address near the end of Diagnostics. It was part of that 20.7.2 update.

13. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    OK, I see it. Eh. I've always used the "Conditional Access" screen to check pairing status. Why they added this field if they weren't going to get it right is beyond me. Possibly it only gets set when you pair it and isn't based on current status.

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I may test that theory. I've have one card unpaired for a few months. I heard my OOB frequency is going to change. I may get the card paired after it moves. I have no premium channels so I haven't missed it.

15. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    It's worked that since the beginning. Just because you don't like the way it works doesn't mean it's wrong.

BTW, you can avoid this if you pause it before "going into My Shows".

16. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Also, if you don’t want to delete when it comes up, just rewind. The delete message will go away.

Mikeguy likes this.
  17. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I’d actually prefer it wasn’t a feature. If the show is finished but time is still left, I’d rather just left arrow to shows and hit clear. It’s always a little annoying when it pops up and I am not finished and I have to hit another button. Not going to give me heartburn though.

18. FitzAusTex

FitzAusTex Member

May 7, 2014
    After 4 years of using TiVo this month, I'm still jarred by the delete message. It's apparently my habit from a decade of using Dish to go pursuing for something else to watch while the last minutes of a program finish out. I sure wouldn't mind if they disabled this.

19. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    As long as cable companies are still using gen 3 on their DVRs we should keep getting bug fixes and other minor updates for Gen 3. I wouldn’t expect any new features though.

20. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I'm more concerned about losing existing features.

stile99 likes this.