Upcoming complete channel realignment on FIOS

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rashid11, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Jun 23, 2008 #1 of 325
    rashid11

rashid11 New Member

Apr 3, 2008

Advertisements

What to expect - completely seamless experience :) or a complete
    guided setup :eek: ?

2. Jun 23, 2008 #2 of 325
    sommerfeld

sommerfeld Lucky (?) 200 member

Feb 26, 2006
    eek indeed. do you have a reference on this realignment?

If most of the channels are getting renumbered, i'd bet on something in the middle. Maybe a day or two while the guide data is out of sync with reality.

3. Jun 23, 2008 #3 of 325
    kngfisher

kngfisher New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    I just want them to stop calling me every 3 days with the "your fios service will be converting to all digital in the next few weeks".....just do it make the damn change already and maybe add the HD channels you keep promising......

4. Jun 23, 2008 #4 of 325
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    It won't be a big deal. They've done it before (last year, not long after I signed up). The only problems will be 1) how long before or after the actual change TiVo does theirs, and 2) whether or not a few channels go astray during the transition. (I had to hassle Verizon to get The Tube back on in its new location. Alas, The Tube...)

5. Jun 23, 2008 #5 of 325
    mbhuff

mbhuff New Member

Jan 24, 2004
    New York

Advertisements

From the thread on avsforum.com (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=590208), here are the tentative schedules for the rollout of the new SD and HD channels on Verizon fios

It's tied to the analog conversion, but just because they have shut off the analog channels, doesn't mean that the new channels will be there. It will be a HUGE change in the lineup. A lot of channels are changing even if they aren't part of the new lineup.

6. Jun 23, 2008 #6 of 325
    litkaj

litkaj Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Exton, PA
    I didn't know they were changing the existing channels. Crap, now I'm going to have to memorize a new list...

7. Jun 23, 2008 #7 of 325
    webin

webin New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Hillsboro,...
    The new channel lineups are listed on this page at the bottom of the right column:
    http://www22.verizon.com/Content/FiOSTV/Channel+Lineup/Channel+Lineup.htm

So far, only Fort Wayne Indiana and Portland Oregon (my market) have had the channels announced... and they aren't really set in stone yet. They will give you an idea of what to expect when they roll out to you.

8. Jun 23, 2008 #8 of 325
    JonHB

JonHB Member

Aug 27, 2007
    California and Texas were the first two markets that they started installing FIOS in and they are the last to get upgraded. :mad:

9. Jun 23, 2008 #9 of 325
    jhimmel

jhimmel Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Looks like one month from today for me in NY.
    I'll try to come back and report on the success of the transition.

10. Jun 23, 2008 #10 of 325
    rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    Nice to see Oregon as one of the first cities being "upgraded".

One month!

11. Jun 23, 2008 #11 of 325
    rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    And I'm just a bit past that in Jersey. Ditto.

12. Jun 23, 2008 #12 of 325
    webin

webin New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Hillsboro,...
    Current thinking on the other board (linked above), is that this is an "ambitious" set of deadlines. We're hoping they meet them, but there could be delays. We'll know more after Fort Wayne transitions next week (6/30).

The DSLReports forums also has some good discussion (and some whiners, too). http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20584501-New-Channel-Realignment

13. Jun 24, 2008 #13 of 325
    Deanq4

Deanq4 TiVo Lover!

Sep 30, 2005
    Forest Grove OR
    Funny thing, I was at the verizon wireless store in Hillsboro doing some phone upgrades and returns, the fios TV guy there, knew NOTHING about the upgrade coming. When I asked about it he said "150 channels by year end" I asked about the 7/27 role out and he said... "where did you hear that, on the internet?" I showed him the verizon link, he was like....damn. So apperntly Verizon doesn't tell people everything.

14. Jun 24, 2008 #14 of 325
    webin

webin New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Hillsboro,...
    Maybe the Verizon employees should waste their entire work days trolling the internet for information (like I do).

15. Jun 24, 2008 #15 of 325
    pomerlp

pomerlp New Member

Apr 21, 2008
    This happened in my area. It went smoothly (cable, not verizon) and Tribune Media and TiVo Reps were right on top of things.

Now I'm not sure how you get your guide data, I assume it's Tribune Media. If they do it like they did in my area you will eventually see two guides at zap2it.com. One will say digital, the other will say digital rebuild. When the change happens you may not know about it so from time to time either go to zap2it.com or redo a guided setup and see if something new is there for you to select that wasn't there in the past.

Now here's the strange thing. On one of my TiVo's the rebuild happened automatically. On the other it didn't. I have no idea as to why.

16. Jun 25, 2008 #16 of 325
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    That's not at all surprising. I've visited the FIOS kiosk at my local mall on several occasions thinking they might actually know something. When I posed a question about upcoming HD channels the first thing the Verizon rep did was head over to a PC and connect to their website to look for info. These guys are about as clueless as your average Best Buy drone.

17. Jun 27, 2008 #17 of 325
    Makmcm

Makmcm New Member

Sep 24, 2001
    I got the new lineup flier in the mail today. Definitely lots of channel lineup changes. I've had FiOS since Christmas, and there have been a few times that my TiVo has informed me of a channel lineup change before FiOS has sent the update to the HD boxes attached to the other televisions in the house, so I'm hoping the transition on 7/23 will go smoothly with the TiVO.

I see in the new lineup that the Starz, Showtime, and TMC channels are now listed in the HD Movies category, but not with asterisks. Does anyone know if this means that these will now be included at no additional charge? (I do not subscribe to any add-on packages now, so this would be a nice bonus if they will now be included.) The non-HD versions of these channels still show up in the separate "Movie Package" column, with asterisks denoting an extra charge.

18. Jun 27, 2008 #18 of 325
    Generic

Generic Now in Dolby Digital

Dec 26, 2005
    SoCal
    No offense but seriously, do you really think they will offer them at no extra charge when the SD version are an extra charge?

19. Jun 27, 2008 #19 of 325
    rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Verizon doesn't differentiate between HD and SD - that is to say there's no additional charge for HD programming. So if you subscribe to a package that carries the SD channel you'll get the HD flavor as well.

20. Jun 28, 2008 #20 of 325
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

I expect no problems at all based on past experience. In the past, anytime a new channel was added to FiOS(or Comcast), I would have a message on my TiVo the day it's added and it would be in the guide data. Recordings shouldn't be a problem either. When I took my boxes from Comcast to FiOS, it still recorded all my programs without any intervention from me, even though all the channels had different numbers on FiOS. Although I did go into my Season Passes later to change them to the new channel number so it wouldn't confuse me.