up in MA, Comcast / Verizon Fios ?'s

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rscaramelo, Dec 28, 2005.

1. rscaramelo

rscaramelo SA! No DirecTivo!

Jul 29, 2002
    South Shore...
    Before someone pipes in with "get Directivo", it's not an option.

I'm in Massachusetts. I have a series 2 "AT&T" 40 hour Tivo. Does anyone up here have a serial port enabled digital box? Are they still disabled? I'm itching for more channels beyond the expanded basic but if it's a clunky setup (tents), my wife will pack her bags after my venture to Directv fiasco. I've seen links to nice looking ir blasters online that stick right to the box. I'm really afraid to mess with a nice seamless setup where my Tivo is my "cable box" but channels are few. I may wait for the Comcast Tivo before upgrading the cable to digital.

Also, anyone have Fios? How well does it work? Works with Tivo?

thanks,

RC

2. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    I have a seriel controlled Comcast Cable box here in Eastern MA. This is 1 of the 4 digital cable boxes I have and only one seriel works. The HD cable box I have also needs to use the IR sensor for Tivo control.

3. rscaramelo

Jul 29, 2002
    South Shore...
    What happens with the "OnDemand" if the Tivo's hooked up? Also are all of the boxes the same model? Is the serial disable in the box or at Comcast?

Sorry for bringing up some tired questions. Answers may have changed since originally answered many months back.

RC

4. dirtypacman

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    What happens with the "OnDemand" if the Tivo's hooked up? --- On demand works but you will need to use your cable remote to cycle through its menus- ff,rw, or play/stop.

Problem is with the ONDEMAND and TIVO is that when your watching something ONDEMAND that is what Tivo receives as its signal. Meaning-- you cannot record while using ONDEMAND --- you will only end up recording what your watching on demand.

3 of 4 of my boxes are the same (1 of the 3 being seriel enabled)... You can ask comcast to turn on /activate your seriel port.

5. rscaramelo

Jul 29, 2002
    South Shore...
    Did you ask them to turn it on? I know from past experience that it's tough to even find someone who knows what the serial/data port is!

Here's another dumb question! I've seen these digital boxes on ebay, will they just work? Will Comcast allow you to use one or can they shoot it down?

thanks again,

Roger

6. dirtypacman

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    I did not have to tell them to turn it on...it came active.

I would suggest you need a cable box from Comcast, other ones may or may not work thats at your own risk.