UP ALL NIGHT S01E02 'Cool Neighbors' OAD 9/21/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by JLucPicard, Sep 24, 2011.

1. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    With the Episode 1 thread starting to wander a bit close to Episode 2 spoilerville, here's a thread for Episode 2 discussion.

I haven't watched it yet, so I really don't have anything to discuss at this point, but I don't want to get spoiled in the other thread.

And for all I know, it may not last much beyond this, so these threads could drop off page 1 rather quickly! :)

2. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    This one was better, IMO. Mainly because there was less Maya Rudolph.

I did like all the "it's ironic!"

3. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Watched episode 2 and did not like. I won't be watching this show anymore.

4. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I thought this episode was very funny and will definitely keep watching. :) Although Maya Rudolph's character can be annoying.

5. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    It was pretty good although I've seen that plotline before.

6. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    This.....................will definitely be an early casualty! NVG (Not Very Good)

7. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    Surprised they didn't use Alanis at the end instead of the Mister Mister song.

8. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I felt this was worse than the pilot. I'll give it one more shot and if I don't care for that one, season pass gone. Just not my cup of tea, apparently.

9. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    That's how I felt. Pilot was only ok, but I give a lot of latitude to pilots. Eps 2 & 3 is where a new sitcom should start to shine. And this ain't no shiny.

There's a fine line between characters doing funny stuff, and stupid stuff. I thought there were too many stupid stuff scenes, and not enough funny stuff scenes.

One more. Needs to make me laugh. Or SP gone.

10. Andrew_S

Andrew_S Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Atlanta,...
    Any show that puts Train in their place can't be bad.

11. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    same here

12. jradford

jradford The Jerkstore called

Dec 28, 2004
    The premise of them being cool and hip but now having a baby and having to accept not being cool and hip doesn't work when the characters seem as far from cool and hip as possible. They strike me as people that would have been annoying to hang out more than fun.

13. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought it was better than the pilot. There's still something that annoys me about the lead couple, but I can't put my finger on it. Less Maya is good. Earns a third ep.

14. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm still in because I like Arnett and Applegate but Maya Rudolph is slowly killing my interest for this show.

15. ozzman73

ozzman73 Home Made

Nov 27, 2006
    Much like the rest. One more episode and it'd better be good or SP cancelled

16. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I did like episode two much better. Episode one , I did not like much and Maya was a big reason for it.

That being said I actually enjoyed Maya more in episode two and could really come to like her character.

17. MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    Miami
    SP deleted. I wanted to like it, but my problem is Will Arnett doesn't work for me as the lead. He always comes off as varying degrees of smarmy and shines in supporting roles, but doesn't have enough appeal to carry a series as the male lead. Christina Applegate can carry a show, but this one ain't gonna work. And Maya Rudolph is only here because Lorne Michaels is an executive producer.

18. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    This episode caused me to delete the SP.

I love Christina Applegate so I was hanging on - but seriously? Two whiny insecure adults worried about not being cool? Nothing funny about it and it just made the main characters completely unlikable.

19. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Finally got around to this one tonight and I liked it, save for Rudolph's scenes.

Everywhere I read anything about this show, Rudolph is the chief complaint. I have to wonder if anyone at NBC is paying attention to that and will consider reducing her role or dropping her altogether, assuming the show gets a full order.

20. kar74

kar74 hi.

Feb 13, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I actually liked this episode much more than the others. I liked the bill hader character (I think that's his name) giving cool advice to will arnet. The maya rudolph storyline was a little better this week, too.