Up All Night - 9/14/11 - Pilot

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by scooterboy, Sep 15, 2011.

1. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    It was better than I expected it to be.

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I watched a few minutes but it wasn't grabbing me. I plan to try it later, but I have too many other shows to clear off that I felt like watching.

3. Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    I like the actors and fit into the target demographic having a one year old and three year old at home. Had a couple of chuckles but overall found it to be pretty flat. Won't be watching unless I hear it got a lot better.

4. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I didn't laugh but I like the characters and will keep watching.
    Maybe I had just seen all the funny bits too many times on the promo ads.

5. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I thought it was so ****ing beautiful.

6. kar74

kar74 hi.

Feb 13, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    With that cast, it has a lot of potential. Last night's episode wasn't that funny though. I'll give it a few more episodes before canceling my season pass.

7. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Giving it a few more episodes. Good but curious how they will keep it going.

8. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    For what little it's worth, this show didn't really make an impression on me. Didn't like it or dislike it, just not much of anything... <shrug>

Given the amount of TV I already watch I think I'm giving this a pass unless I hear it get sigificantly better.

9. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I didn't think it was hilarious but I had a few chuckle out loud moments. I'll definitely continue watching it.

10. Supfreak26

Supfreak26 Go Cowboys!

Dec 12, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Love the cast and I was entertained. I'm in.

11. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Damn. I thought USA Up All Night was making a comeback. Bring back Rhonda Scheer and Gilbert Godfried!

12. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Finally got around to watching this. I thought it was meh, but there's a lot of potential here to be funny. It had a Mr. Mom vibe to it, and I really liked that movie. So I set an SP for now, and I'll keep watching and see what happens.

13. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    We liked it. The oprah character needs some work to be more consistently funny but Will Arnett had some terrific lines and delivery. Definitely a keeper for now.

14. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    The scene in the grocery store (trying to find the cheese, and dodging the old woman) was pretty funny, I thought.

15. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    We definitely enjoyed the Will Arnett/Christina Applegate parts, but the Maya Rudolph stuff needs work. Apparently, this version of the pilot was completely redone after Maya Rudolph's movie "Bridesmaids" was such a hit. In the original pilot, Rudolph and Applegate worked together at a PR firm, and Rudolph was simply the ditzy friend with a relatively small role. But when "Bridesmaids" was such a hit, NBC wanted to promote the fact that Rudolph was in it and they insisted that her role be reworked and the pilot reshot. Rudolph is now given top billing with the other two, and it means they're going to have to make the parts with Applegate at work more prominent. I could certainly do with more home and less work.

16. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    It was okay.

I love the cast so I will give it a couple more episodes to catch on.

With the bleeping of the cussing, I was getting an Arrested Development vibe. And then when they sang karaoke, I wanted them to do Afternoon Delight. I just saw that episode of Arrested Development a couple days ago.

Wow, just realized I shouldn't abbreviate when I am talking about Arrested Development and Afternoon Delight in the same sentence, so I went back and spelled it all out.

17. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Considering that this is a Lorne Michaels production, I'm not sure how hard NBC pushed.
    I'd guess that NBC suggested it and the producers gladly went along.

And considering that this is a Michaels production, NBC will probably give this show a fair amount of rope, which at this point, I think it needs as I found the pilot to be very lackluster.
    And I say this as someone who likes Arnett and Applegate (I can take or leave Rudolph.

Still, I'll take another look next week.

18. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    I have had EXACTLY that experience recently-minus dodging the old lady. I welcome the old ladies-it means I might get to have conversation with an adult.

Having a baby myself, parts of it were really funny-wipes game in particular.

But it reminded me a little of the 30 Rock pilot-a little awkward trying to find a rhythm.

19. CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    I and my wife both thought it was pretty bad. Didn't laugh once and I'm easy to get to laugh :)

I'll give it another shot but she is not so forgiving.

20. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    I'm currently on maternity leave, so I was a pretty easy sell for this show. I enjoyed it -- well, at least the mom/dad/baby scenes. I agree with others who have posted that the work scenes were kind of painful.

I'll keep watching for now.