Unwanted TiVo Forced Ads in Guide Now Taking TWO available Lines

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by V7Goose, Feb 12, 2020.

1. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Those disgusting forced advertisements in the HORRIBLE TE4 Guide are now taking TWO of the total 8 lines available for program info on most pages.

I predict that in 6 months, they will be on EVERY OTHER LINE What a disgusting way to screw your customers.

johnsom likes this.
  2. jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    Couldn't agree more, it is inevitable that they push customers away unless they change course.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No in-guide ads for two days.

4. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I called the TiVo CDDD number (Cause Dissent and Dissatisfaction Department) and reported this, they said they will be now adding 4 Tivo + lines to your DVR's.

exdishguy likes this.
  5. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Noticed the same on my Roamio. Haven’t used the Bolt since the latest replacement came in, so not sure about it

6. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    “disgusting” “horrible” “screw”?

It’s a line of ads.

For a sub-par service no one wants to use, but still, it’s just an inch-tall graphic on your television.

dianebrat likes this.
  7. Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    So true. If it actually bothers you block them (as I have via Pi-hole) and be done with it.

8. cwoody222

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Still just a single line on my Roamio and Mini.

9. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Can you post a picture? I've not seen a two line variant yet.

10. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Could always be worse...

This is a typical DirecTV guide screen...

IMG_20191023_194226.jpg

compnurd, tenthplanet and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  11. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    A graphic of the "future"..:D:eek::eek::eek:

12. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    I wouldn't mind if I was getting 4k channels. 2 4k channels no less!!

13. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Yep. They are showing retail customers the door. They don't want us anymore, at least that is what I hear from their crass comments of late. It's like how a comedian clears the room when it is time for poeple to leave and allow the comedy club to close for the night: vile, disgusting routines guranteed to have people flee the scene like roaches exposed to light.

TiVo should just place ads in the guide and pre-roll from Amazon for the Recast TV and be done with it. It would be a class way for TiVo to at least point you into the right direction (while taking money from Amazon) as the door hits us on the way out. I can handle TiVo exiting the retail end of the business, but given the snotty attitude of TiVo execs shown to its long time customers who have invested several THOUSANDS of dollars for all sorts of their hareware and Lifetime or All-in on multiple machines, my fear is that they will not even bother to continue to have our retail TiVo's function when they do leave the retail biz. The cost to keep our various TiVo equipment and features alive would probably be minimal since, I presume, they would still be supporting the MSO TiVo's, but TiVo would probably pull the cord from our TiVo devices just for the spite of it. That seems to be the current management's attitude.

The sad thing is that it is a very crass way to end the relationship. One would have hoped for a more graceful long goodbye. There is a classy way to break up and a crassy way to break up a romance. So far, TiVo seems to be choosing the latter.

14. cwoody222

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    So you’re this upset about how you THINK TiVo will act in a hypothetical future where they exit retail?

That doesn’t seem reasonable. But whatever, keep being mad at them for something that probably won’t happen.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  15. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    We have 6 total with Directv!

16. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Yeah, that IS a lot worse! And it reinforces my total and universal disgust at all cable and satellite providers. But I guess it also tells us where Bad_Rovi got the idea that this is an acceptable way to treat their customers.

The Guide is the one indispensable part of a DVR that you cannot avoid, and their decision to randomly intersperse the guide data with these unwanted ads was a deliberate decision to make the user experience much worse just so it was more difficult to ignore them.

The Guide was already a very limited 8 lines per page, so taking two away is a very significant reduction. Then, by randomly placing those two lines at different places on the page, it becomes MUCH more difficult to quickly scan page after page of program data to look for the things you might actually be interested in recording while avoiding the intrusion of those ads.

17. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Line 1 and line 4 on this display. Right now, I have one of those unwanted intrusive ads on any page after channels 2-1, 7-3 and 29-1, but that changes depending on what live TV channel I am on when I have to pull up the Guide. When paging down or up in the guide, the location of those ads change on every page. Some pages have 2, other pages just one.

Attached Files:

18. hapster85

hapster85 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    It's been a few years since I had DirecTV, but when I did, I could set the guide to Favorites and make those ads go away. That doesn't work with TiVo.

[Edit: Correction]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  19. bradolson

bradolson New Member

Mar 14, 2006
    With DirecTV or cable DVRs you are “renting” the box so it’s slightly more justified. But for TiVos which were purchased outright and with lifetime service, it’s awful.

Chuck_IV and Donbadabon like this.
  20. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    And with Dish there is ONE banner at the bottom of the EPG--BUT--you can go into settings and have the banner NOT show.