Unwanted Hydra upgrade of Mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Jetspeedz, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Mar 2, 2019 #1 of 30
    Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014

Advertisements

How does one stop this. My original mini stopped working. Got a replacement refurbished unit from Tivo. I had not used it in 3 weeks, i turn it on and it tried to upgrade to Hydra, had to downgrade and wait 30 mins to use it again. I never had an option to deny an upgrade. How does one stop Tivo from upgrading these devices?

2. Mar 3, 2019 #2 of 30
    CinciDVR

CinciDVR Contentious Member

May 24, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    When my mini (and my Roamio for that matter) upgraded to Hydra, I was shown a message saying that a remote with a "back" button was needed and given a chance to cancel the upgrade. Did you not get that kind of message?

3. Mar 3, 2019 #3 of 30
    stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Mini matches the host. Just match it with a non-Hydra host.

4. Mar 3, 2019 #4 of 30
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The Mini version has to match that of the host it's paired with so not sure why you would have gotten an upgrade on the Mini unless this was from the initial deployment of the replacement (seems new TiVo's/Mini's ship with TE3 and then upgrade to TE4 with the initial deployment after which you can downgrade).

Scott

5. Mar 3, 2019 #5 of 30
    Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014

Advertisements

I've never ever upgraded to Hydra on my Roamio, it has always been TE3. This Mini the first time i used it when it arrived from Tivo setup to TE3 and worked fine. Turn it off and i just fired it up after 3 weeks and it automatically on its own tried to upgrade. I looked through all the menus and settings with no options to disable any future upgrades. Still don't understand why this happened.

6. Mar 3, 2019 #6 of 30
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    That makes no sense, the mini matches its OS to its host, if your only host is TE3 and there are no Hydra hosts the mini would never update, sounds like there's something very wrong with it.

7. Mar 3, 2019 #7 of 30
    Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014
    This was a refurbished unit from Tivo, would not surprise me. Only way to know for sure is to test it in another week after being off to see if it repeats. Was hoping for some smoking gun it doesn't sound like one exists.

8. Mar 3, 2019 #8 of 30
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    You didn't inadvertently hit the voice button on the remote, right? (I'm a king of bumping a button on the remote, usually one of the number buttons so that the channel I'm watching gets changed and I lose what I'm watching in the TiVo buffer. :( )

9. Mar 3, 2019 #9 of 30
    Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014
    I don't have a VOX model to hit the voice button. Like i said, it booted and it just automatically by itself tried to upgrade

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What do you mean by “turn it off”? Was it powered-off since shortly after initial setup?

11. Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Yes it was powered off for a few weeks after initial setup which worked fine and it was on TE3. After powering it back on it automatically tried to upgrade to TE4 by itself without any user interaction than when it discovered I don't have a TE4 Roamio it gave me the option to downgrade.

Tivo customer support has no clue why it did this.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    How long was the box operational under TE3?

My guess would be that your TE4 upgrade was just the typical initial setup upgrade that boxes go through*, but you’d powered-down your Mini preventing the upgrade at that time.

* ... though it’s confusing why Minis would be put through this given their need to match the OS of their host DVR.

13. Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014
    That doesn't make sense, the "typical initial setup" would have occurred the first time it was powered up. Not after it was used for half a day than powered down and powered up a few weeks later. This isn't my first rodeo, I've had Minis for a long time, never seen this happen.

Chalk this up to Tivo's great software and testing practices :Rolling eyes:

14. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    It happened to me as well. I got a 'refurb' Mini replacement from TiVo, fired it up in the kitchen, and it came to life under TE3 and worked fine. Everything in the house is TE3 - Roamio Pro, and three other Minis.

Two days later, I fire up that kitchen TV, and I see a prompt that says it has been 'updated' to TE4, and if I want to keep using it, I'll have to convert all the other TiVos to TE4, and would I like to do that now?

Alternately, it said, it can revert it back to TE3, and that should take about an hour. I opted to revert, and about an hour later had TE3 back.

It was, to say the least, weird. Being a refurb from TiVo, I have no idea what its history might be.

Seems to me TiVo is getting aggressive about pushing out TE4.

I've been a TiVo user since the Series 1, but if they force TE4 on all their customers, that might be the end of TiVo at my house. Streaming has gotten too good and too convenient (although not so much on the TiVo) with far superior pictures and sound to cable, cable keeps going up in price monthly for the 15-20 channels we watch here, my TA keeps 'mysteriously' losing channels requiring a reboot, and on and on. Maybe it's time for me to move on.

15. Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014
    See i knew it was not just me. This is very odd behavior and Tivo will not fess up to it.

To test i went ahead and just restarted i since I last made this post a couple of weeks ago and it booted up to TE3. Hopefully it does not auto update to Hydra.

16. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Sense or not, it's now happened identically to two people, which means it's likely happened to hundreds of people getting refurb Minis, and the rest aren't members here or just aren't posting about it.

Pretty clear to me that TiVo is inserting code into refurb Minis where they 'upgrade' to TE4 by themselves a couple of hours or days after initial boot in an effort to get the user to 'upgrade' all their hardware to TE4.

I was kind of amazed that the Mini offered to 'upgrade' all my TiVo boxes, including the Roamio. That does not happen by accident or because of something wrong with the Mini. That is a deliberate, calculated action.

"Obnoxious behavior" does not begin to describe the process, and I can pretty much guarantee that someday quite soon, we will be turning on our TVs to find a message saying that we can 'upgrade' to TE4, or we will start losing features.

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Doesn't seem all that odd given both boxes apparently upgraded to TE4 some short period of active time after initial setup. It's certainly an annoying deployment methodology for any user with only TE3 host DVR(s).

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Not a bad theory. Perhaps @TiVo_Ted can confirm.

19. Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014
    This is odd! It is not normal nor should it be the norm. That was my point, the mere fact no one believed me, yourself included until another person reported the exact same odd behavior is astonishing in itself.

You though it was related to an initial setup when I clearly explained what happened. I call this odd, you can call it what you want, the problem needs to be fixed!

20. Jetspeedz

Jetspeedz Member

Dec 19, 2014
    When i contacted Tivo customer support which is pretty useless, similar to everyone else on this forum said it was not possible and it is a non issue. If there is some nefarious motive Tivo has to force the upgrades they need to come forward and make that clear instead of this sneaky BS they are pulling with the Mini's. Shame Tivo is run the way it is now