Unusual Tivo question

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mp11, Sep 27, 2017.

1. mp11

mp11 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    OK this is a topic that I don't think I've ever seen discussed before. Is there any way outside sources would know what I watch, wether "live" or recorded on my Tivo? I.E. do the networks have a way of knowing if I watch their programming? Back in the old days, the Neilson surveys would provide that info. But in today's tech savvy environment...I don't know.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    In today's environment it's even easier. TiVo can collect your viewing habits easily. Your TiVo communicates with the servers about every four hours. No one knows exactly what gets sent or received. I have heard several times where ratings of "delayed" watching were reported. I assume that us people watching a recording. I gave up my privacy years ago.

3. Imageek2

Imageek2 Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Riverside, CA
    I have assumed since TiVo now requires a constant connection to their servers that they are keeping data on everything I watch, record, and delete. It wouldn't surprise me to find out they sell that info to whomever is willing to pay.

4. m.s

m.s Active Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Read the TiVo Privacy Policy. They can collect and share ("We may also use information we collect in our analytics business, where we use data that has been either de-identified or aggregated (or both) to generate insights into consumer behaviors (for example, to show what the most watched commercial was during a particular show)." viewing info.

"If you do not want us to use your viewing logs in our analytics business or share that de-identified information with third parties, you can opt out by logging into your account on tivo.com or calling us at 1-877-367-8486."

5. anthem11

anthem11 New Member

May 15, 2012
    3rd Parties: "Jesus. This guy really loves Rick and Morty reruns"

6. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    It's aggregated, so 3rd parties don't get "your" viewing habits. They just get to see that there's a hot spot of people who happen to like Rick and Morty :).

7. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Went #2 and wiped, came back there was a Charmin ad at the bottom of TiVo Home.

Clicked on the ad, TV suddenly said "Alexa, flush the toilet"

Coincidence? You tell me.

Mikeguy likes this.