Unused Tivo Box Gift for Parents HELP

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by SalemTivo, Oct 17, 2007.

1. SalemTivo

SalemTivo New Member

Oct 15, 2002

Advertisements

Last Christmas (2006) we gave my parents a TIVO with a year's subscription. I just learned this week that it has yet to come out of the box. They said "can you return it?" Of course, its a bit past the 30 days. Any thoughts? I assume the year subscription does not kick in until activated, correct? is there a market for a Series 2?

2. fredct

fredct Member

Nov 15, 2004
    NJ
    Unless it was pre-activated. If you bought direct from TiVo, that may very well be the case and I'm not sure there's anything you can do about that (you'd have to talk to them about it).

There is certainly a market for a series 2... its called eBay.

Or you could maybe set it up for them and they'd see what they've been missing :)

3. SalemTivo

SalemTivo New Member

Oct 15, 2002
    I've been on hold with Tivo for about 20 minutes to get a clarification on the prepay. I'll check out E-Bay, thanks.

4. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I set up my old S1 for my 75 y/o Mother and she loves being able to simply pause live TV to answer a phone call.

I'm not sure we'll ever get to wishlists :)

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.

Advertisements

eBay, Craigslist et al are a marketplace, where you can sell them.

The actual "market" for inactive Series 2s isn't much, especially for older ones and ones with stock drives. Any Prepay belongs to the account an not the box, so is technically void when sold, likely.

6. alsligh

alsligh New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    I know this is not helpful at all, but I just have to say THAT IS SO FRUSTRATING. I have been saving my pennies for TiVo and they haven't even taken it out of the box?!?