Unused series 2 with lifetime

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by catfan64, Apr 7, 2012.

1. catfan64

catfan64 Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Louisville KY

Advertisements

Recently got my 2nd Premeire. It replaced an old series 2 that has lifetime service. Both the Premiere's are on a month to month basis, and are getting the multi service discount. If I leave the series 2 unplugged, will I lose the multi service discount, on one of the Premiere's? If so, could I just keep the series 2 plugged in, and hooked up to my network somewhere out of the way, and keep the multi service discount on both my Premiere's?

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Yeah, make sure it contacts the mothership about once a month, although it'll probably live longer if you actually keep it plugged into a UPS and running all the time.

You should go ahead and make a backup image with MFS Live or WinMFS and have a replacement drive set aside for the day the one in there now finally dies.

Get one of those old little 5" B&W sets and hook it up to check every once in a while to make sure it's actually connecting successfully.

3. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    It probably costs $3 or $4 a month to run it, not sure I would keep it plugged in all of the time.

4. catfan64

catfan64 Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Louisville KY
    So, once a month would be OK to hook it up, and let it "phone home"? Is that exactly 30 days, or just an estimate? What happens if I go past the 30 days without a call in? Is it a hassle to get it reactivated?

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

It has to make contact at least every 180 days - that's approx. 6 months. It's right there in the terms for MSD.
    http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/policies/tivomultiservicediscountagreement.html

6. catfan64

catfan64 Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Louisville KY
  7. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Note that this 180-day rule applies specifically for it to be the qualifying TiVo for the MSD on another TiVo. The actual lifetime service on the device itself never expires. Plug it in five years later, and it will be back in business, without any "reactivation" process.

8. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    That is not necessarily true. There have been many reports of people having to call in to get lifetime reactivated after a machine was unplugged for a lengthy amount of time.

9. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Define lengthy 1 Year, 5 years etc.