Unreadable DVD's from Video Redo

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by BH9244, Dec 26, 2019.

1. BH9244

BH9244 Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Upfront I hope this is the proper forum for this post if I'm mistaken please direct me. Anyway.

I have used Video Redo for some time to burn DVD copies of Tivo Recordings either from the native Tivo Format or Captures via Sling Catcher. Recently it seems as if the resulting DVD's are not playable either in my stand alone DVD player or on the pc itself, on the PC it prompts to insert a DVD although there is one present, the Video Redo programs seems to report a proper ending without errors. I'm sure I am doing something wrong. Any suggestions appreciated or better yet a step by step tutorial would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks..

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It sounds like you did not finalize the DVD, which would put the directories to connect the content. You would need to start over with a new disk and burn it and finalize it.

3. BH9244

BH9244 Member

Feb 10, 2009
    I think you're right, any idea what I may have set wrong or am doing incorrectly in Vid Redo that would cause this, and can a disk be finalized after the fact ?. Thanks

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Its been a long time since I burned a DVD and do not recall how I did them.

You would need to start over,
    check box for:
    • verify disk
    • eject automatically when done.
    DO NOT eject the disk manually. The drive may have stopped writing but it hasn't.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Yes, it must be finalized before it can be read by a different device. It can be un-finalized with some equipment, but that varies by hardware.

finalize dvd on computer - Google Search

6. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Since you say you have been doing this for a long time, I'd have to assume you know what you are doing and how to finalize a disk. The more likely problem is that you have simply worn out your burner.

I used to do a lot of DVD creation from my TiVos - I did several thousands of disks, both DVD and Blu-ray, and I wore out many burners. Burning at higher speeds will kill them sooner (I suspect the higher speeds require more power from the lasers). The problem does develop gradually, and the quality of blanks you use can make a difference too - not in how fast the lasers wear out, but the best blanks will still work in a weak old burner after the cheapos all fail. I finally got tired of having to manually check every single burned disk to catch when a burner was starting to get weak, so I began saving everything to HDD - I don't like the risk of losing hundreds of programs at once if a hard drive goes bad, but I have adjusted to it.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Just FYI the code that actually burns DVDs in VideoReDo hasn't changed in YEARS, so it's unlikely to be a VideoReDo issue if it use to work.

Did you get a new pack of disks? You may want to just try slowing the burn down a little and see if that helps. Some disks don't handle the high speed burning of today's DVD burners well and can create bad disks.

8. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    In the past, I have manually ejected the disk when I thought it was done, the light went out, and it didn't finalize.

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It'll eject automatically when it's done. Just leave it till then.

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, I know that. Its in those early days, that was what I had done.