Unofficial Reports say that Chuck will be Renewed for 5th Season

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, May 11, 2011.

1. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Reports are starting to leak that Chuck will be renewed for a 13 episode fifth season.

http://www.tvline.com/2011/05/breaking-chuck-spies-season-5-pickup/

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118036823

NBC hasn't confirmed it yet, but it looks like it's imminent.

I know I'll be crucified for saying so, but I'm about ready for Chuck to end. I love the show, but I'm getting a bit tired of it and would not have been terribly sad if it ended after this season.

2. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    I am grateful it has gone this far. Maybe this will be a half season wrap up. And it gets them to the 100 show mark.

3. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    No you are right. But this needs to be it.

4. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Maybe they'll get the 13 episodes and be told that it will definitely be their final season. Then they can write the show to a logical ending. Also, I'm kind of hoping that the renewal also means a reduced budget, which will require them to drop the BuyMorons and just focus on the four key characters, plus the occasional Ellie and Awesome.

5. super dave

super dave Friend Of The Court

Oct 1, 2002
    Maple Shade, NJ
    It has been getting harder to watch, I might not make it through another season....

6. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I would be happy to watch another season. I hope it makes it.

7. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Used to love this...but it's often a week or more before I watch the show. And that's a surefire indication it's losing its luster (at least for me...)

8. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Eastern...
    They need a 22 episode order for Season 5 to make it to 100... First season was cut short due to the writers strike. The show was snake-bit from the beginning...

Woot! on the pick-up!

9. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    i like someone's suggestion in the other thread, kill off Sarah and bring back Sarah's long lost twin sister who isn't in love with Chuck and is even more bad ass and likes to wear skimpy clothes like every friggen show... then i might be more interested :)

10. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    The show has definitely lost some of its greatness this year, but this last ep made me very sad at the thought that it might be canceled. So in that respect I'm glad.

But next season should be it.

11. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    NBC's decision making has baffled me since they thought that giving Jay Leno a prime time show 5 nights a week was a good idea.

I like Chuck and I'll happily watch a fifth season of it.
    But I can't understand how it got renewed.
    It's ratings don't warrant it.

12. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    They are doing it to spite me.

13. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    NBC probably has more shows suitable for cancellation then they have available new shows that make sense. Jay Leno left 5 hours empty.

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm happy, and while this season hasn't been as good as the others, I still enjoy it more than most other things I watch. I think a nice neat 13 episode wrap up will work for me. Heck, I'm sure there will be another Paul Reiser or something that does horrible in the ratings that Chuck can replace and finish off the series. I don't know the advertising rates for the show and how they compare to other shows with this kind of ratings, but I am guessing that NBC must make something reasonable off this show. Certainly enough to warrant even a partial season. Maybe Subway or whoever feels they are getting some ROI from it.

15. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    It probably wouldn't bother me if Chuck got canceled although I am still watching it. I'd like to see them get rid of Big Mike. When he was manager he brought a little to the table but now nothing.

16. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Why is it that a considerable number of people make it sound like a show with 99 episodes is somehow legally prevented from going into syndication (especially hour-long ones, which have enough trouble getting into local market syndication anyway)?

On the other hand, the difference between 78 (cancellation now) and 91 (thirteen more episodes) can be a dealbreaker.

17. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    They can't completely blow up their schedule and start from scratch. They need some stability to bring viewers to the new stuff. The only scripted dramas that are a lock to return are Parenthood and SVU, so they need a couple more for stability.

18. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    100 episodes means the show can air 5 nights a week for a 20 week cycle. You made the point hour long shows have trouble getting into local market syndication. I'd suggest a show not popular enough to air 100 original episodes is going to have trouble. The hard core fan(s?) may have purchased DVDs

You're the only poster who's suggesting a legal issue syndicating a show with less then 100 episodes.

19. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I think his point is that 100 episodes is not the magic syndication plateau that it once was. If there's a market for Chuck to be syndicated, they can do it at 78 episodes, 91 episodes, or 100 episodes. I've seen Arrested Development in syndication, and that had only about 55 episodes.

20. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Also, I think for one hour shows, it's not necessary to syndicate them for 5 nights a week any longer. I've seen plenty of syndicated shows just appearing once a week now on various cable channels.