Unofficial moving -- will it work?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by JLee, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Apr 5, 2006 #1 of 21
    JLee

JLee New Member

Nov 11, 2003

Advertisements

I live in Las Vegas, but I want to get San Francisco locals so that I can get Giants games.

If I call in and change my "service address" to a San Francisco address, will everything just work? Could there be a different satellite that services San Francisco, causing me to have to realign my dish? If so, how do I do this myself?

2. Apr 5, 2006 #2 of 21
    rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    You will have to install a dish a little closer to San Francisco since their spot beam probably does not cover all the way to LV.

-Robert

3. Apr 5, 2006 #3 of 21
    fsck_101

fsck_101 New Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You could probably get away with it, but you'd lose your LV locals and in all likelihood wouldn't be able to pick up the SF locals due to spotbeams.

4. Apr 5, 2006 #4 of 21
    JLee

JLee New Member

Nov 11, 2003
    What's the typical radius of a spotbeam?

5. Apr 5, 2006 #5 of 21
    Sirshagg

Sirshagg Member

Dec 26, 2001

Advertisements

I have no idea how current or accurate this is but here is an map someone came up with. Notice that multiple markets can be services by the same spot beam.

http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/dtv.html

6. Apr 5, 2006 #6 of 21
    fsck_101

fsck_101 New Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That map is extremely generous. I don't think there's an icecube's chance you'd be able to get the SF spotbeam in LV, even though the map shows it *almost* makes it to LV.

7. Apr 5, 2006 #7 of 21
    cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    A different twist to the OP :

I live in Los Angeles, but am moving to Texas. Can I not tell DTV I am moving and keep my LA Locals. Aren't all the LA channels beamed "national".

8. Apr 5, 2006 #8 of 21
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Only the major ones.

9. Apr 5, 2006 #9 of 21
    btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    The spot beam from here doesn't reach to LV. A friend with an RV and D* discovered this.

10. fsck_101

fsck_101 New Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
  11. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    All this "out of market teams" claiming other markets led me to cancel NFLST for the fiirst time in years last fall.

Living in LA, how the heck can SD claim this as an area? Didn't the Raiders and Rams pay for this market (although it has been abandoned.

Without a NFL team, LA NFLST users should have zero blackouts. Calls to the NFL (unanswered), DTV, CBS yielded negative results. Over the years, the price has gone up and the number of games has gone down. Why not have a "team" package and allow out of area fans to watch their favorite team?

Last season, I chose to spend my money on going to 2 of 3 Cowboys games in California. Much better than hoping to watch a washed out, overcompressed picture.

As to why SF Giants games are blacked out in LV? Maybe because the Dodgers AAA team is in LV now?

12. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I don't understand why the sports leagues haven't done this. If I want to watch the Yankees, Red Sox or 49'ers, I should be able to pay to do so.

13. mgmrick

mgmrick Haven't broke yet

Aug 28, 2002
    Port Byron...
    jfh3...

Never been able to understand why they will not take our money.... I want this team and willing to pay for it....nope can not do.

Rick

14. gworkman

gworkman Member

Feb 6, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Check signal strengths on 101 TPs 4, 12 & 20. If you get a usable signal, you can get SF. I think I tried this when I lived in Vegas and got 0 strength. A better plan may be to move to LA and pick up the Extra Innings package...You'll avoid the blackouts and be eligible for LA HD in MPEG2.

15. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    MLB extra innings comes to mind.

:)

16. gworkman

gworkman Member

Feb 6, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    If the service address is Las Vegas, MLB EI blacks out LA, ANA, SD, OAK, SF & ARI. If the service address is LA, they only black out LA & ANA, but those games would be available through OTA channels and RSNs. In Vegas, SD, OAK, SF are not available through any method, and ARI is available with the sports pack.

17. fsck_101

fsck_101 New Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
  18. Camelot_One

Camelot_One New Member

Apr 29, 2005
    I came to the forum today set to ask the same question, but for a different reason.
    I care nothing about the sports games, but in Austin, I can't get any of the major HD networks off sat, and my particular location creates problems for OTA. Waivers were all denied.

I'm wondering if I can just change my service address to one in Manhattan to get NYC locals in SD and HD. (pretty sure NYC is the East feed for all of them anyway, so it should be a national signal right?) Even though new york is an hour ahead, everything there ends up airing the same time as central anyway, so the only thing I'd miss out on is the ever so wonderful Austin news.

Thoughts?

19. Dodge boy

Dodge boy New Member

Apr 7, 2006
    I asked for this for years...... I live half-way between Cleveland and Pittsburgh, being in Ohio I have to watch the Clowns............ I am a Bengals fan!!!!!!! I'm just glad I live in Big Ten country for college, but being a Michigan fan in Ohio ain't easy. :rolleyes:

20. fsck_101

fsck_101 New Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think both Fox and CBS are O&O in Austin, so you should get the national HD feeds for those two already. Of course, you'd still need to get NBC and ABC OTA.

You probably could 'move' and get the major 4 network HD feeds. Whereabouts in Austin are you that you are having problems getting the OTA signals?