Unlimited data on Comcast Xfinity Super+ More packages

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DeltaOne, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Jan 5, 2021 #1 of 13
    DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013

Advertisements

I received an email from Comcast Xfinity on Monday 1/4/20 stating that my Super+ More package now includes unlimited data. A pleasant surprise as our household averages 1100 GB, dangerously close to the 1200 GB data cap.

The email also states Super+ More now includes xFi Complete service. Saying that since we lease an Xfinity Gateway modem they'll evaluate our WiFi service and send us a free xFi Pod if they think it'll improve our WiFi experience. The email concludes saying they'll be sending more info soon on the benefits of xFi Complete service. Also that no in-home technician visit is required. I assume this means they can evaluate our WiFi experience from logs in the gateway.

However, I do not lease an Xfinity Gateway modem. I have purchased and provided my own modem (Arris SB8200), router (pfSense) and WiFi access point (UniFi AC Pro).

I assume Comcast has decided to include unlimited data on some plans as a push-back against the recent criticism they've received for re-instituting data caps and even instituting data caps in regions that have never had a data cap.

I'm pleasantly surprised that our Super+ More package now includes unlimited data!

chiguy50 likes this.
  2. Jan 5, 2021 #2 of 13
    chiguy50

chiguy50 U.S. Army (ret.)

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    That's interesting. Keep us posted as you learn more.

It should be noted that you have signed up for the top-tier, "soup-to-nuts" bundle deal for your (non-S&E) area so the waiver of the data cap may not apply to lesser subscription levels. Also, in order to avail yourself of xFi services (aside from the unlimited data) you must have a Comcast rental XB6/7 gateway on your account, which is a $14 p.m. add-on to the $160 bundle price. Also, even though the Super+ More package includes 300 Hours of DVR Service, I presume that you will not get more than the basic 20 hours of cloud storage without an X1 digital navigation device.

This is just conjecture on my part since I am unfamiliar with the accounting procedures in your area, but I would be interested in hearing more details.

If you are already renting a Comcast gateway (which you say that you are not), xFi Complete is an $11 p.m. add-on. Otherwise, xFi Complete includes the (mandatory) gateway for $25.

For others unfamiliar with OP's bundle, here are the details (complete with two contradictory entries pertaining to the data limito_O):

upload_2021-1-5_11-55-19.png

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  3. Jan 5, 2021 #3 of 13
    zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    So it says both Unlimited Internet Data and 1.2TB of data per month. Nice!

trip1eX likes this.
  4. Jan 5, 2021 #4 of 13
    CommunityMember

CommunityMember Active Member

May 22, 2020
    Comcast has included unlimited in some plans for quite some time, but given that some plans were only in some regions (and some of those regions were in the NE that did not have usage based billing previously), they would appear to be evaluating more of the existing plans in the NE region to determine one's qualifications.

5. Jan 5, 2021 #5 of 13
    DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013

Advertisements

That's kind of what I was thinking, making unlimited data a perk or feature of the higher priced plans.

chiguy50 likes this.
  6. Jan 5, 2021 #6 of 13
    DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Interesting. Part of their plan to make features and pricing even across all regions.

7. Jan 5, 2021 #7 of 13
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    looked tempting, but then I realized the package price is only a bit less than my entire bill (including HBO and all of the "fees" and such).. Though I have to bug them to get a separate $5 box fee off -- I am being charged an outlet fee and a box fee.. should be only one of them for the separate cable card? (I have no comcast owned equipment except the cable cards)

8. Jan 6, 2021 #8 of 13
    chiguy50

chiguy50 U.S. Army (ret.)

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    From your description it sounds as if you have a Comcast STB on your account; if not, then you should not be subject to either the outlet fee or the box fee.

I recommend that you contact a CSR and have them verify the equipment listed on your account (you should also be able to check this out yourself in your on-line account under TV Service > Devices. If anything other than the CableCARD-enabled TV Box is listed there, then there is another item that you are credited with--whether or not in your physical possession. If you were issued a STB and turned it in, you should always keep the receipt for reference purposes.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  9. Jan 6, 2021 #9 of 13
    KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle
    If the bundle includes voice and you do not have a voice capable device online you will be automatically sent a eMTA device.

CommunityMember likes this.
  10. CommunityMember

CommunityMember Active Member

May 22, 2020
    Note that one can have one's own data only modem and a modem used only for voice (typically something cheap such as a TM722) on an account in order to make the Comcast audits pass to avoid them sending you a eMTA capable device (and starting to charge you a monthly fee for the privilege), although some CSRs are not familiar with such configurations, so one may need to be insistent that it is possible to get such configured.

11. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle
    I am fully aware of that but if the system does not see any voice device online and your package includes voice you will automatically be shipped a voice device.
    I was replying to the fact the OP does not seem to have any voice device but package has voice.

12. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    You are correct.

A little history: When I first moved to a package that included voice service I had trouble with the Xfinity supplied gateway. I attempted to return it to the store and was told because I had voice service I was required to have a gateway capable of voice service. I'm guessing the requirement had something to do with legal liability and one's ability to dial 911 in an emergency. They gave me a new gateway and suggested I try that.

I did not connect the new gateway. They continued to charge me monthly for renting the gateway.

A few months later, while dealing with the Xfinity cable card tech help, I mentioned paying for the gateway but not using it. He offered to remove the monthly charge from my bill and recommended returning the gateway to my local Xfinity store. I knew how my local Xfinity store would react, so I just placed the gateway in a closet and forgot about it.

A few months later I did get an email from Xfinity asking me to ship the gateway back to them. I did so.

I've changed my Xfinity bundle at least once since then, they did not mention the gateway or a requirement to have one. So I'm still using the modem I purchased and it's working nicely.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I have two cablecards.. they USED to be classified as "second in same device" (since I've had them since I was using a S3 then TivoHD as my main Tivo).. After locking in a new package, I returned the box they forced on me (since I switched packages online).. and I returned that the next day.

I got the cable cards turned back on, and they realized they're separate.. (I have had Roamio Pro and P4 for a long time). So they realize they're separate (though the second one still isn't actually authorized to the other TiVo -- I should get that done since I'm now paying for it separately -- I get most channels I care about though).

But as I said, I see the separate outlet fee and something like "box fee". It's "only" $5/month and I've been too lazy to deal with it. I should chat them and try to get it fixed/removed.

yeah I used to get the owner owned equipment credit too.