Universal remotes

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Tider, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Tider

Tider New Member

Dec 18, 2003
    LA (Lower...

Advertisements

My one for all Universal remote just bit the dust. I was wondering what everyone out there is using now. I would prefer somethig with a backlight, but not too outrageously priced. Something that would work good with the directivo is a huge plus.

Thanks,
    Tider

2. bikeguy

bikeguy New Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    They have several models in various price ranges. Have 2 the Harmony H688 and I just upgraded to the 880. I thought the 688 was awesome, but the 880 is even better. I paid about $160 for the 688 and $130 for the better 880 about 10 years later.

If you have heard of harmony remotes that are set up via the computer and the web, it's very simple and the are activity-based. So you push ONE button and the tv turns on to the right input, the DirecTV tivo to the correct tuner and the stereo to the correct input.

3. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    I don't like to spend a small fortune for universal remotes. It is against my nature to spend more for the remote than I spent for the equipment it controls. :)
    I use One For All 9910. Works like a charm, but if you don't need RF capability you can use 8910 , that is exactly the same as 9910 but IR only. Both remotes have backlight and are learning remotes. Both have codes for DirecTivo and whole bunch more. Both can be programmed via telephone (you will need to call OFA) in case you need some special code.
    Personally, I prefer programming special codes for odd ball equipment by usingJP1 interface cable that can be purchased for under $15.

4. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    I have had a Harmony 680 for some years now. In my opinion, the ease of programming and operation, even for other family members, is so outstanding that it is worth the price by a mile.

5. jimnoblett

jimnoblett Member

Nov 18, 2001
    Somewhere...

Advertisements

I have a HTM MX-500 that my wife and I both love. It has hard buttons and is backlit. I also have a Sony RM AX-4000 that is the bedroom remote. I like it but the WAF is quite low. It is a touch-screen remote and very wide. She doesn't like the fact that she has to use 2 hands to work it, and look at the screen to see what she is doing.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I also use the OneForAll 8910. I paid something like $30 shipped from an eBay liquidator.

7. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    I guess what one person considers ok, someone else considers outrageous. I bought 2 more Tivo peanut remotes for .99 each at woot.com :)

$130 for a remote is insane. If my family members can't use the peanut remote, they can get their a$$ off the couch and switch something on themselves. :)

8. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    The peanut remote is fine if you want to use five different remotes for the TV, DVD player, Tivo, etc. Me I use the Home Theater Master MX500. I paid about $60 for it on sale. I actually have two of them and they work great. I'm a hard button kind of guy.

9. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    I'd love to pick up two tivo peanut remotes for .99.