Universal Remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by jethrodesign, May 30, 2020.

1. jethrodesign

jethrodesign New Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Hi, I'm trying a Stream 4K to see if it can be a better solution than my Roku (and previously, Chromecast). So far I'm not super excited, but i'm willing to give it time.

But I'm wondering about what options may be available for it to work with a universal remote? I am a longtime "One Remote to Rule Them All" user, and HATE having to jump between multiple remotes. For a number of years I've used a Logitech Harmony 650, and love it. It controls my TV, AV, Roku, etc.

- Does the Stream 4K use Bluetooth for it's remote?

- If so, are there any devices that can convert an infrared signal (like from my Harmony 650) to Bluetooth? My searches result in mostly the opposite (Bluetooth to IR).

- If there is no way to get my Harmony 650 to work with this, are there any similar universal remotes that are verified to be working yet?

- If I have to use the TiVo remote, is there a way to get it to at least control the volume on my A/V system (Yamaha RX-V365, which the Stream 4K is connected to)? Right now, the volume & channel buttons don't do anything.

THANKS!

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    The Harmony Hub would most likely be able to Bluetooth Pair to it. I think I saw a thread around here on that.

Your 650 programming would 'import' in to it.

You can pick the Hub alone up on Ebay for $20 if you're patient.

You can find the Ultimate remote to go with it for under $100, but I find the layout annoying. An Elite or 950 is a pretty decent unit. Also, you can a Pair a simple unit to it , too. A Smart or Companion. The Companion continues to try to sell for $50ish by itself, but you can usually find the Smart for ~$20.

-KP

3. Narkul

Narkul Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    I was able to get the Tivo stream remote to control my Yamaha receiver using the sticky thread "disable Tivo's automatic remote programming" then using the Tivo+volume up and "channel up" search procedure. I have a 650, but never really jelled to it and just prefer the Tivo remote's design.

4. jethrodesign

jethrodesign New Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I've checked out the hub-based Harmony models. The affordable 'Companion' looks way to limited. The 'Elite' looks really nice, but is almost $270. I'm a bit hesitant to buy a used remote, as the buttons tend to wear out after a while (I've had to replace my 650 a couple times over the years).

I didn't see the 'Ultimate' on the Logitech site. Is that an older, discontinued model or something? I'm wondering how well it's still supported?!?

While the Elite does look like a nice option, I'm not sure my $50 Stream 4K that I don't really love yet is worth a $270 remote upgrade.

- There's no IR-to-Bluetooth converters of some sort?!?

And the volume controls on the TiVo remote DID magically start controlling the volume on my Yamaha A/V last time a tried. Not sure what was different. This makes it a bit more of an option, but without backlit keys I can't see what to press when I watch something at night with the lights down. Plus, not super stoked about the lack of basic FF/REW buttons...