Unit going out?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by What The Hell?, Jan 16, 2006.

1. What The Hell?

What The Hell? New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    My directv/tivo receiver started to get ghostly horizontal lines displayed. Not sure if the unit was going out or if it was the VCR that I added to begin archiving old shows. If unit was going out, I need to archive stuff that we've saved forever.

Found VCR to be cumbersome and thought the old VCR caused my picture to be bad, so I changed to DVD recorder. Directv signal via DVD recorder seems more clear, than through VCR, but is also better than the straight signal to the TV.

Why would this be the case?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Please detail how you have everything interconnected. What DirecTV DVR do you have? What inputs and outputs are being used?

3. What The Hell?

Jan 16, 2006
    RCA Series 2 DVR80- Had this for about a year from Directv

From the wall, RFIN to the DVR unit.
    From DVR unit, RFOUT, to RFIN Dvd recorder (LiteOn 5115LVW)
    From Dvd recorder, RFOUT, to VHF/UHF In on TV

VCR is composite cable connected (red, white, yellow) to TV
    DVD is composite cable connected (red, white, yellow) to TV

Used to have S cable connection between DVR & TV, but could not see how/when this was being used. At this moment, it's disconnected.

4. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Remove any and all RF connections. They are just bad and wrong.

5. What The Hell?

Jan 16, 2006
    Sorry for the basic question, but what do I do if I remove the RF connections? Do I still connect to them, but with a different type of cable?

6. john-duncan-yoyo

john-duncan-yoyo New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    NoVa near DC
    You can't avoid the RF into the DTiVO but I wouldn'y use it for primary viewing. beyond that. I try to stick to either red-white-yellow RCA cables and/or the s-video cable (in place of yellow RCA).

No reason to pull out the RF but it is not a good source of video since it is prone to interference and in MONO. I just wouldn't watch it. Try reconnecting all the RF cables.

If you are running out of inputs on the TV you can buy a switch for combining the signal from multiple sources like this one <http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2181628&cat=4537&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A133276%3A133270%3A4537> I have a GE version of this and it is smart enough to switch through the sources as they are turned on and off. It also will put out a signal on RF with a modulated stereo signal as well as a signal on RCA.

What I would do with this setup is-

RF from dish into DVR
    RCA/S-video into DVD recorder from DVR out one
    RCA/S-video into TV from DVD recorder

I assume you only have one composite input left on the TV. I would buy a box like the one in the link and hook up the outputs of the DVD player, VCR and the second output from the DVR to that box. Connect the switch box to the TV using RCA cables.

These things work on a preference order so where you put the cables determines what trumps what. Just turn off things you don't want to watch. Mine has the from lowest preference to highest- DVR, VCR, DVD but I don't plan on recording from the DVR to the VCR. If you do use VCR, DVR, DVD. Proper planning here will cut down the amount of explaining it takes for anyone else to watch TV.

The upside of this is that the RF out from the box will provide stereo signal to another set some distance away and/or the VCR with plain vanilla RF antenna cables.