Uninstall Tivo Desktop 2.4 (Preview)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by hawks28, Aug 8, 2007.

1. hawks28

hawks28 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Hi. I am trying to install the new version of Tivo Desktop (2.5) but the installation prompts me to uninstall version 2.4 first. When I click the button to uninstall version 2.4, I get an error message that says "Sorry. Tivo Desktop requires Windows XP SP2 (Service Pack 2 or later)." I click OK and am taken back to the installation prompt telling me I have to uninstall version 2.4 to proceed.

I get the same error message when I try to uninstall from the control panel of my Windows Vista Ultimate system.

Any ideas how to uninstall Desktop 2.4 so that I can install version 2.5?

Thanks!

2. jeff_m_cutter@ya

jeff_m_cutter@ya New Member

Oct 23, 2006
    I get this same problem. I also ran the Fix24Setup.exe which I am afraid didn't work since I had 2.4 Preview and not just 2.4.

I love my TiVo, why does it have to be so rebellious sometimes ;-)

-Jeff

3. dannydp

dannydp New Member

May 22, 2007
    Same issue here. Windows Ultimate, Desktop 2.4 Preview. Unable to remove.

4. pshawncongo

pshawncongo New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    yup yup someone help!

5. jeff_m_cutter@ya

Oct 23, 2006
    Bump, little help here TiVo folks. Fix24PreviewSetup.exe?

6. MysticVenom

MysticVenom New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    bump again - another user hoping for a preview uninstaller fixer

7. li21ny

li21ny New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Same problem here. Tried removing all traces of tivo files from registry and c: drive, no luck.

8. jeff_m_cutter@ya

Oct 23, 2006
    OK TiVo Folks... How hard can it be to modify the 2.4 Fix program to work on 2.4 preview?

9. jeff_m_cutter@ya

Oct 23, 2006
    Update - I took matters into my own hands last night and removed C:\Program Files\Tivo, C:\Program Files\Common Files\Tivo, and whatever else I could find on the C: drive. I removed the TiVo Beacon service (sc delete TiVoBeacon2 or whatever the service is called, see details in Services GUI). I then took to the Registry and went nuts (maybe make a backup first ;-). I removed anything I could find that said TiVo (almost). Rebooted, and I was able to install 2.5. Yay. Maybe I didn't need to do all this, but it worked and I'm happy enough with that.

Now, in summary, Windows, and especially the Windows Registry, stink.