Unibox and HD?!?!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Hersheytx, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Sep 7, 2007 #1 of 17
    Hersheytx

Hersheytx New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Dallas
    I am trying hard to justify getting the new HDTIVO box. I want to support TIVO but what I really want is a system that can download movies and TV shows in HD.
    I have an Xbox 360. IT does this quite well, but the amount of shows and movies is quite limited.
    Does the Amzon/TIVO relationship offer HD downloads. So far I cannot find anything showing this as a capability.
    IF not, is it coming soon?
    TIVOPONY, is this something TIVO is working on now or is this something NETFLIX/Amazon have to work out first?

I have no problem with them money. I just do not want to have something that does less then what I already have up and running.

Please help

2. Sep 7, 2007 #2 of 17
    PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    It is probably coming soon as the demand rises. Unbox is designed for PC downloads as well, not just TiVo. A bigger concern with Unbox for me is the sound is only stereo with the front channels, no surround sound. Also, for Unbox only I am constantly running the volume up and down because voices are low in comparison to music and other sound effects.

3. Sep 7, 2007 #3 of 17
    AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    Not totally true, it's Surround sound, but not DD or DTS. With an adequate AVR, it's not bad.

The bigger issues are:
    1) No HD
    2) No 16x9 (all 16x9 is letterboxed into a 4x3)

4. Sep 7, 2007 #4 of 17
    Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    Actually, as to 2, the biggest issue is that the PC download version of all Unbox movies are widescreen (1.78:1, 1.85:1, 2.35:1), as are many TV downloads (1.78:1), and yet every Tivo download (TV or movies) is in 4:3. They HAVE the widescreen versions, they just aren't available for Tivo for some (probably bizarre) reason.

Thus, I've never bothered to download an Unbox video to my Tivo, but I watch plenty of them on my HTPC.

5. Sep 9, 2007 #5 of 17
    PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I have a 6 channel AVR that is calibrated perfectly for surround, DD and DTS. For Unbox movies ONLY, I can't get the sound to have normal speaking voices loud enough to hear without the action scenes blasting way too loud. I've only watched a handful of Unbox movies so I haven't looked at changing settings.

6. Sep 9, 2007 #6 of 17
    stevereis

stevereis New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    DFW
    Some TiVo's cannot playback 16:9 formatted content so that's why the Unbox videos are all 4:3. I am not sure what other units have this issue but I know the Humax DVD units do. It's odd that these TiVo's can properly playback 16:9 DVDs but, if you convert that content using DVDshirink or other methods to a straight MPEG2 file, it will not playback properly on the Humax. You can fake the file to 4:3 aspect (via VideoReDo) and it will playback, but the aspect ratio will be wrong. Unbox widescreen content is 4:3 letterboxed, so you get the proper aspect ratio.

7. Sep 9, 2007 #7 of 17
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    And the other big issue is no subtitling. That's a dealbreaker for those of us hard-of-hearing folks.

8. Sep 9, 2007 #8 of 17
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Huh? Since when? My S2 played them back fine. And, of course, so will an S3 and THD.

9. Sep 9, 2007 #9 of 17
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I had some older S2s that would not show widescreen content correctly unless you set the TiVo in widescreen mode. There have been lots of reports of issues playing widescreen content on S2 boxes. I don't know if it is a hardware or software issue but it definitely could be affecting the decision making of Amazon on Unbox video content.

10. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Currently, There isn't alot being offered for Download in HD. Give it another year or two and it will change.

Amazon/Unbox has a few HD movies to download.

Currently as far as I can tell the Xbox 360 has the BEST and largest content of HD movie/tv downloads.

But give it time And HD Downloads will be around...

TGC

P.S. Check out the VUDU box (VUDU.com) currently the box is capable of doing 1080p viewing. However, at this time there aren't any HD movies to download. The company says that once the "Content providers" provide them with HD content that their box will be able to download and display it.

11. gschoen

gschoen Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Which ones? No HD is the only thing preventing me from using the service.

12. stevereis

stevereis New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    DFW
    The Humax DRT800, for one. My S2-240 and S2DT-649 units have no issues but I have heard the S2-540 units may have the same issue. I cannot confirm anything other than the DRT800 from personal experience.

13. Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    The statement is incorrect. Amazon doesn't have a single HD video for download -- movies or TV shows.

14. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    What format is the unbox surround sound? My receiver is modern and can decode most formats, but only reads Unbox videos as stereo.

I connect my Tivo to receiver by toslink, and every other Tivo conversion takes place automatically (same with my DVD player).

My stereo can upconvert to 5.1 via Neo6 (DTS format) or Dolby, but such sounds watered-down in comparison to real 5.1. I guess I am trying to figure out whether Unbox videos really have surround, or you are just using your receiver to upconvert.

15. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    +1

My Sony's receiver's default settings reduces the differential for dolby digital soundtracks but not for Unbox videos.

16. shady

shady Previously European TCF Club

May 31, 2002
    Morgan...
    Dolby Pro Logic

17. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Sorry, I can't remember which ones they were. I think there were only like 2 or 3 though. I did see a FAQ they had at one time (I can't find it out) that said as soon as the "Content Providers" gave them HD content that Amazon would start providing it.

One nice thing though... even though HD content isn't currently available for download with the TiVo, At least the TiVo is capable of doing it once the content becomes available.

I am just like you, I am inpaitiently waiting for HD content to download as well. AND at alot cheaper prices that what is available on Xbox 360.

TGC

P.S. After looking again, I couldn't find a single one. I do sware I saw a couple when Unbox was first unveiled.