Unexpected guest stars

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cmontyburns, Nov 18, 2011.

1. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Way back when I started this thread, "Stars you spot in things done before they were stars." Tonight I was getting caught up on an episode of The Mentalist from a few weeks ago ("Were in the World is Carmine O'Brien?") and had sort of the opposite experience -- stars I spotted in things done after they were stars (or better, when they weren't stars anymore).

This one episode was a treasure trove of actors once better known for other things. It featured in guest roles:

• Henry Thomas, who played Elliott in E.T., as Lisbon's brother (a major role in the episode)
    • Malcolm Barrett, who played Lem on the late, lamented Better off Ted, as a small-town cop (a minor role in the episode)
    • Claudia Wells, who played Jennifer in Back to the Future, as the small-town chief of police (a very minor role -- she was a corpse in her first scene, and appeared for 5 seconds in a gauzy flashback in which she was shot in her second)

Bizarre to see so many "hey, that's..." actors in one episode of an inconsequential (but popular) show.

Who have you spotted lately that used to be better known for something else, and in what?

2. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    In the Halloween episode of Psych, Kristy Swanson (the original Buffy) costarred and Corey Feldman ("Lost Boys") had a cameo.

3. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Larry Hagman was front and center screen as a reporter on "Boss" with no lines or story as of yet.

4. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Probably not quite what you're looking for, but I just realized, after four seasons on "Bones', that Dr. Sweets is played by John Francis Daley, who was Sam on "Freaks and Geeks."

I guess I should turn in my TV Nerd card now.