Undercover Boss - Whole season discussion.

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TonyTheTiger, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Nov 7, 2012 #1 of 96
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006

Advertisements

As there's no thread for last Friday's show, I'll assume there's not enough interest for a per-episode thread, so this can cover all aired episodes.

I thought the Mitchell Model's mustache was the most fake I've ever seen. How he fooled anyone with it, I'll never know. I wasn't surprised that he got called out in the CT store.

The biggest surprise was the generosity in giving $250,000 tax paid to the last girl along with a promotion giving her a $14k raise! I have to admit that I'm not sure this was in line with others and I thought it was more of a publicity stunt than a genuine attempt to help. I know she was living in a homeless shelter with three kids, but there are better ways to help her than to give her what amounts to a small lottery win.

2. Nov 7, 2012 #2 of 96
    omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    Well yeah........then again Modell's is a big family owned? chain and the good will and name recognition from that gesture is invaluable.

Also, if you've seen Mitchell or his picture before, no disguise could hide his features especially to an assistant manager or higher.

3. Nov 7, 2012 #3 of 96
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    One thing that crossed my mind is I would suspect that the number of people living in homeless shelters anywhere near a Modell's applying for jobs there is going to go WAY up.

I don't remember if she was from New York or where she was from, but I hope she can get a decent place for $250,000, and handles it all well. That's a lot to toss on someone who's not used to handling that kind of thing in her personal finances. Hopefully the person who is going to help her with that is trustworthy and good at what they do!

4. Nov 7, 2012 #4 of 96
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, that $250k thing was outrageous. Give her a raise and $50,00 down payment on a modest house. But $100k into a college fund for her kids. But not a $250k lottery cash windfall.

5. Nov 7, 2012 #5 of 96
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...

Advertisements

Only seen the show a few times -

How do they explain the camera men following the boss everywhere? The employees must suspect something is up, yes?

6. Nov 7, 2012 #6 of 96
    TonyTheTiger

Dec 22, 2006
    The staff are told that the "contestant" is taking part in a competition to win money to start a new business and are trying out entry-level positions. In previous series, they were people who were trying a different career path after being laid off.

Early in this episode, they actually showed what the camera crew looks like.

7. Nov 7, 2012 #7 of 96
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    They say the CEO (in disguise) is part of a reality show of people losing their job and getting back into the job market. What they rarely show is that they also take another "contestant" through the same jobs on a different day to make it more believable. At the end, they think they are being asked who should "win" and did better at their job.

8. Nov 7, 2012 #8 of 96
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I don't think they've done that before.

I sure hope this is a permanent change, but I hated the "whew, that was hard.. let's take a break, sit down at a table, and I'll tell you my entire life's sob story and why you should give me $20,000 at the end of the show" segments. They didn't do this for Model's... I hope it's gone for good. Just show them in those jobs, meeting employees, hearing chatter and complaints, etc. And dispense with all the fakeness like "hello. Here's your uniform for the day".

9. Nov 7, 2012 #9 of 96
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'm glad they changed the reality show cover story.. I think they'll have to do it each season at least.

10. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    Agree! And every time the they showed him talking to his employee after pulling off half the mustache I fixated on that and couldn't stop laughing.

11. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    you must FF thru the show! in the beginning they did a much more detailed explanation of the contestant thing even showing the fake host

12. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i always feel bad for the other contestant even though i realize it's probably a stage hand or something ....but to keep it legit they have to go thru the same stuff as the other person dont they?

or do they just say oh there is no contestant number 2 and give a bogus reason why not?

13. TonyTheTiger

Dec 22, 2006
    You must FF thru the previous posts, too!! ;)

14. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I don't record it, I only watch it when I happen upon it live. So it's very likely I've never seen the beginning of an episode.

15. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    We still enjoy the show, but at some point this fake out stuff is not going to work. Folks will be like, "A reality show huh?..Riiiight...he's the CEO right??"

16. Honora

Honora Member

Oct 16, 2006
    I certainly won't forget what Mitch looks like. A couple of days after this show, I'm stuck sitting on the bus waiting to get into the Lincoln Tunnel and there is Mitch (normal and disguised) staring at me from the side of the truck next to us.

17. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    the blond at the kilt is an example of people i cannot comprehend ....they are missing a part of their head between their brain and their mouth...doing a 2nd bad joke after a 1st and that reaction was plain stupid

wish he would have fired her on the spot...probably in any other scenario a boss would have.

iwonder if that one depressing bar was in a bad part of town or if they were just there on a boring tuesday night...the employees loved their jobs so much!

18. Hank

Hank AC•FTW TCF Club

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    You have to realize these clips are highly edited to allow the producers to tell the story they want to tell. I suspect they had her on tape telling these jokes at different times to different people, and had several camera angles of the customers' reactions... so they just spliced it together to make it look alot worse than it really was.

But yeah, that doesn't make her any less of an idiot.

Damn cute, though. WOW.

I wish I could have heard the punch lines to her jokes.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Has anybody ever heard of this place?