Undercover Boss - United Van Lines OAD 3/13/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Mar 14, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA

Advertisements

I was semi-interested in this since I've been moved by professional movers 3x and once was with United Van Lines (actually, Suddath, an agent (?) of United).

I didn't realize so much stuff could come out of the driver's pocket, like the estimator underestimating the load. I wonder if that's United's practice or something industry standard.

Too bad they didn't show the warehouses where they temporarily store belongings during a move.

That Andrew guy, wow. His reactions when talking to the CEO were pretty funny. He sure didn't seem to take his job very seriously.

2. DavidMunited

DavidMunited New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    United Van Lines is a prime example of corporate greed and complete disrespect of Americas laws and workers. I have worked for several united agents and the worst is S&M Moving Systems. They nearly killed me, sending me with a driver who not only was way over his legal hours to be on the road, but i was told he was previously fired from another United Agency. Eventhough he fell asleep at the wheel and flipped on the freeway and then we were hit by another tractor trailer, I was injured, I got no settlement. My wife had to come and pick me up from a Hospital out of state. When I got home my boss called and without knowing my injuries told me to take a few days off. I could barely walk. I could not get a lawyer to fight them because United uses a Unigroup owned insurance agency, they fight all claims very aggressively. The one lawyer that did sign, quit or was paid off. They use illegals openly. The ones I worked with often didn't speak english and would trap doves on the warehouse grounds and store them in the lunch room freezer to take home for dinner. One had to go back to Mexico for a funeral and it took him 2 months to get back. They also subcontract jobs through companies that were clearly nothing but illegals. They made us buy our own expensive equipment and gave most of us no healthcare or vacation. I have seen large scale cheating at the scales and cheating on claims. One United driver actually carried a waterbed mattress in his bellybox so he can fill it up with water and drain it. Most just fill up fuel in-between weights, but I have also seen the use of helpers standing on S&Ms own scales and the use of their forklift to cheat. Remember a good portion of corporate moves are footed by the tax payers and corporate welfare. One time we were putting a new warehouse inventory system in place and we had to account for all the storage vaults. Some vaults were missing all together and some we found property that wasnt supposed to be there. When we looked them up, they were customers who filed lost or stolen claims against them and they got nothing. S&M claimed they were delivered and the customer never recieved the goods. Unigroups dirty insurance hard at work. I could go on and on, but i hope you get the point. out of decency for human rights, please don't Use united van lines. I was in great demand and had a reputation as quality. Out of state drivers would request me to load and unload their goods. I went to the top corporate accounts and rich people. I was hand picked to appear in a training video for which i was not compesated for or did i sign a release. Then their own negligence almosts kills me and I was tossed with the trash. I could not treat my worst enemy like they treated me, just couldn't. You should also know never to hire Thompson and McGinnis if you need attorneys.

3. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    ^^^ I see. Splitting your post up into paragraphs would make it more readable.

All 3 professional moves were paid for by my (now former) employer. AFAIK, I had no say in the movers but I didn't know good from bad anyway. I was satisfied w/all the moves and very little was damaged by each and nothing lost.

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Morning Mr./Ms. Spammer!

5. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming

Advertisements

I had to laugh when the boss engaged in what amounted to small talk with the two packers within earshot of the homeowner. The packers had to shhhh him.

The cameraman even went for the reaction shot from the homeowner.

6. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    The CEO made a mistake in not firing the hot shot slacker kid employee. That kid has no intention of being a good, long term employee. He was sooo busted during the reveal. :up: Buh-bye.

7. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    True...I can't believe the CEO dude says he wants to "keep tabs" on him.

But at the end the note on the screen said he is still with the company and being "re-trained".

8. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Why was the long quote called a spam? It seemed like a story about the posters experience with this company.

9. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    A story he felt like cutting and pasting to at least 5 different discussion boards.

10. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Really?

How does one know that? Did you actually go out to the interwebs and hunt down that story?

I am not trying to be smart, I am just curious how did you find that out.

11. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Simply selected his first sentence in Chrome, right-clicked, and picked "Search Google for...."

12. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Ahh, ok.

Damn ye spammer!

13. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Spammer might not be the BEST description. Spammers are usually trying to get us to buy something. Rather, just someone with an axe to grind. Someone we'll probably not hear from ever again.

14. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Damn ye axe grinder.

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'm possibly misremembering, but I don't remember any other time when they've had a 'bad' experience with an employee.

Still, I keep wondering how many more of these they'll be able to do. We've already seen the boss be recognized at least once, and last night he brought his wife in so that he wouldn't be recognized. I suspect they'll have to do more VPs or Undercover Not-Quite-The-Boss episodes.

16. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I don't watch this show religiously (probably seen less than half the eps) but you're right. I don't remember any bad employees until this ep.

Agreed on your last point. At my former company, there is NO way the CEO wouldn't be recognized by virtually all the employees, no matter how elaborate the disguise.

17. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Yeah, it's been a long time since they ran into a problem employee... I think the last time might be the last season of UB. I used to think that would be a routine thing - the boss would always run into a problem employee.

As for CEOs, it depends. The bigger the company and the further the company HQ from where the employees work, the less likely they're going to recognize the CEO because he doesn't hobnob with the hoi polloi too often. A company that covers the entire nation, continuent or world would mean there would be tons of people who don't know the CEO.

At my current employer, the CEO would be recognized because we're small (~40 in HQ) and he routinely comes around saying hello to everyone. That's why all the companies on UB probably have 10-20,000+ employees.

18. jbx

jbx WW Addict TCF Club

May 21, 2005
    Middle of...
    Yes there was another bad employee back for an online shipping/commerce company, I can't remember who it was but the employee was dealing with customers calling in and she got very rude with them and basically told them off and I think hung up on them or they hung up on her. In the reveal part of the show they said they were going to get the employee proper retraining since she had only been there less 6 months but at the update at the very end of the show it stated she no longer worked for the company.

19. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    In the Hooters episode they did. The store manager was making the women do inappropriate things in order to be able to leave work.

20. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Some companies like Subway and Hooters are actually franchises, so they would have no reason to know the CEO. As far as they would be concerned, the Franchisee would probably be the highest in the food chain they had met.