Under the Gun with 2/28 approaching

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by TDgobucks, Feb 21, 2006.

1. TDgobucks

TDgobucks New Member

Mar 30, 2004

Advertisements

Any advice anyone can prvide would be greatly appreciated.

I currently have 2 DTV Tivos and purchased an HD capable TV in Jan. I wouldn't be in any rush to get HD before football season, but the more I read about the change to leasing the more I am considering getting in on the HR 10250 before the ned of the month.

I have been considering leaving but hate the thought of the whole change. I called retention last week and spoke to a newbie and she wasn't giving up a thing.

One of my fears is that since my market (Columbus, OH) does not yet have locals in Hi Def that I would need the new box and dish when they become available this spring. If that's the case is it even worth it to purchase it now?

Thanks for your input.

TD

2. jautor

jautor Also wants a pony

Jul 1, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Is Columbus even on the list to get the MPEG4 locals in HD this year? Regardless, the answer may depend on whether or not you can get your locals via an OTA antenna. Check you distance using www.antennaweb.org

As an example, I just set up a ChannelMaster 4228 with their small pre-amp in a 2nd story attic. At 32 miles from the antennas, great reception... Total cost $90 for free reception, and no impending reason to want the 'new' DVR...

Jeff

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I just decided to order an HR10-250 from an online retailer to get the $200 rebate. Since my area won't be getting HD locals (or SD ones for that matter) for quite a while (DMA=156) and I have waivers in place I finally thought it was time. I have a few OTA that I can receive, or will once I relocate my antenna. I may never get locals from DirecTV until I have to.

4. dogdoctor

dogdoctor New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    CA
    Using the info off antennaweb, I would seriouly purchase a small indoor antenna (a lot of people choose a small radio shack rabbit ear as a good test - I have the terk HDTVi and works great), hook it up to the tv (hopefully if you bought it Jan it is had an HDTV tuner built in) and see if you get any HD. If you do jump at the HR10-250 and by all means call retention a couple of times...see the thread about the best HDDVR deal. Then you can get a better antenna if you need one. I was surprised at how good the indoor antennas can work.

In all if you get any HD - buy now before the leasing starts...their new pricing structures make almost no sense.

I just got on the deal with D* for the H10 and my only concern is the picture drop outs as seen in another thread.

Jim...are you worried about that? (the picture/audio drops outs)

5. thumperxr69

thumperxr69 New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Central IL

Advertisements

I think the end of the world is coming. JimSpence is actually getting an HD-TiVo. ;)

Welcome Jim.....

T

6. Texceo

Texceo New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Just order my second HR10-250 this is what i got:

HR10- 250 $599
    Rebate -$200
    Premium package -$20/ month for 6 months

Total is $279 for this new unit seems fair too me.

7. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Yeah, I finally saw the light.:D I was watching HD using a non-TiVo receiver (HTL-HD) and this was fine. But, with the addition of TNT-HD (I know most on it isn't real HD, it will get better) I decided to jump in.

Now I'm waiting for delivery. Also planning what new wiring I'll need.

8. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    TD, if you want to buy, keep in mind 2 things are certain:

1. price to own will absolutely go up March 1 so get it while it's good

2. even if you can't get OTA, you have another nice tivo (space/conflict issues) and also i'm sure you would easily make up most of your money selling it to another forum member.

oh make that 3

3. your hdtivo will always work, even with the new dish. So if you can't get OTA and need the new receiver for locals, you'll be fine because of #2 :)

9. moonman

moonman New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    U.S.A....
  10. hildred

hildred New Member

Aug 30, 2003
    detroit mich
    is there a commiting for the news hdtv pvr to rent this unit how fee is there for one hdtv set i sd set

11. slapshot

slapshot New Member

Feb 12, 2002
    Plainfield,IL

:confused: Huh?