Undelete on the way.....YAY!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by clovis8, Jan 25, 2006.

1. clovis8

clovis8 New Member

Nov 23, 2005
  2. TivoPip

TivoPip New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Sweet :) Now how long before we get folder delete? :cool:

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I believe TiVo has tested undelete in the past, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too high just yet. I guess it would be a welcome addition to some people. Frankly, I have a huge hard drive and could care less what gets deleted that isn't marked as keep until delete.

4. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    Do we really need another thread on the subject on the same page?

5. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto

Advertisements

I wish the archives on this forum went back to November of 1999 so I could link to the thread where I first requested this feature! Yay is right! But I'd still rather an an FSI!

...Dale

6. SC0TLANDF0REVER

SC0TLANDF0REVER I Love my TiVo!

Dec 9, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    Could you clarify please?

7. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    FSI--> Free Space Indicator. A direct way of seeing how many GB (or hours) remaining on your HD.

Michael

8. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    and to make this thread utterly repetitive on the request for features ;)
    I wnat a feature to create my own folders and put shows into the the folders as I see fit.

9. supersportsfan

supersportsfan New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Well, if you think about it, this could almost act as a sort of FSI...Seeing that you can look in the folder to see how much "room" is left on the hard drive...

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    that folder is called suggestions ;)

11. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Suggestions + Recycle Bin = Free Space Indicator

12. supersportsfan

supersportsfan New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Yea, I knew there were other ways people talked about that work as a FSI, but I dont use suggestions, so I wouldn't know about that... :)

13. dmdeane

dmdeane sedentary adventurer

Apr 17, 2000
    North...
    I've never understood the desire for a FSI. Undelete, however, is crucial.

I stopped deleting my shows after watching them, because there was no undelete. This was not a problem for me once I had enough TiVos with enough diskspace.

However, it meant that, even though I allowed Suggestions, very few Suggestions actually got recorded, because my hard drives were full of shows I refused to delete. Now that I can delete without worrying about the occasional unfixabble mistaken deletion, I expect I'll start seeing more Suggestions in my Suggestions folder.

14. JoeBarbs

JoeBarbs New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    [​IMG]

15. falc122727

falc122727 Member

Jan 21, 2004
    It's funny how everyone of these new features have been available for years as hacks. TiVo should scour the hacking community before releasing the Series 3.

16. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    Ooh, oh like I could put shows in a file that I've watched but my husband hasn't......

how novel :rolleyes:

17. thenightfly42

thenightfly42 SeƱor Senior, Jr.

Mar 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I would be interested to know how TiVo would balance "space taken by deleted shows" versus "space taken by Suggestions". I would guess that a deleted show would be permanently removed after a certain timespan (3 days?), but I'm sure they would need some usability testing on it.

18. Gene S

Gene S Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Belleville, IL
    I would be happy if I only had an hour to restore the deleted program. I'm so used to pressing "Left, Up, Select" to delete a show when I'm done watching it, its become habit. I always remember that I wanted to keep a show the second after I deleted it.

19. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Hacks don't have to meet the same level of QA and user testing that production code has. And the production code has to be maintainable and supportable. So while there may be 'quick and dirty' ways to do things as hacks, and that's fine for those willing to take the risks along with the rewards, you can't take the same risks on standard software.

20. dmdeane

dmdeane sedentary adventurer

Apr 17, 2000
    North...
    Exactly! That's what some people just don't seem to "get": it doesn't matter how many "are you really sure you want to delete that?" nag screens there are; we get used to blasting right past them out of habit. And if you ordinarily don't save anything after watching, you don't remember that you wanted to save something until after you deleted it! So even an hour would be enough for most people. However, if one did not mind taking the hit on available space for future recordings, having the ability to customize for longer grace periods would be nice, which is useful if you live with other people and you might not find out they deleted something you wanted to save until many hours later.