Undateable Live - 2015/2016 season

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MarkofT, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Oct 9, 2015 #1 of 84
    MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...

Advertisements

So it was the first episode(s) of their new season and they are shooting it live. Looks like they get a musical guest to sing for the beginning and ending credits. Caught a couple bustups, and the comedy was good in both episodes.

From what I understand, they actually do perform it twice, once for the East, and again for the West. Almost want to go digging for the West feed just to see the differences. I wonder if they will give out Danny's phone number again or if that was a one time deal. Too bad the first caller didn't speak. It didn't look like Leslie was wearing a wig at the start of the show, not sure if I just didn't catch it or if she actually got a quick haircut. She was out of the picture for just long enough for a good stylist to do a decent job.

2. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I called the number. It's a "Danny Burton" voice mail, but the box was full.

For those who got the west coast feed, did Leslie kiss Scott Foley during the friend draft?

It's fun to see all the times when they have to try and keep themselves from breaking. And the nods to the audience/viewers are always great. Looking forward to more of this.

3. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    After the live show last year, I really didn't think this would be very good, but I was really surprised. It was really good.

4. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I continue to watch this show. I enjoyed the 'live' episode, although it didn't look live for me, so I assume that it was not live in the Pacific time zone feed.

I enjoyed the musicians. Never heard of them but then I'm kinda old. :) The only thing was that during their first number the double-clapping from the audience nearly drove me insane. Stop the double-clapping, white people! ;)

5. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas

Advertisements

It was live for Pacific time zone

6. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I'm wondering what didn't look live about it? In any case, yes, they did two performances, both were live feeds to the coasts.

7. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    I don't think it was just this week that was live. Next week when it was advertising the time, it also listed it as live. Maybe this is something they will try and do to be different and stick around longer?

8. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yes, and I was wondering if that was improvised.

9. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It's the way they're doing it this whole season.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    What? They're doing an entire season live? That sucks!! They're fun every now and then but the mistakes and obvious attempts to not laugh kind of take you out lf the show. I"m not sure I can make it through an entire season of this.

11. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It was pretty clear that Scott Foley wasn't expecting it during the East Coast feed and everyone busted up and then Brent Morin even said "That wasn't rehearsed." I guess they decided to keep it in for the West Coast version.

Did the WC version have Justin telling Danny that Bridget Mendler was more famous than him? Chris D'Elia's reaction to that made me think it caught him off guard.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  12. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yes.
    It sounds like they're keeping the improvs that they feel worked for the West Coast feed.

13. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I enjoy this show live, but it definitely has a different rhythm and feel to it then the show used to have. I preferred it before, but will still watch and enjoy it live.

14. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    4 of the 7 main cast members are comedians and feel it it is the height of comedy to bust up the others. Even in the recorded episodes, they do the exact same thing.

The only difference between the live shows and the prerecorded shows is that the director can't just let them improv for 30 minutes and trim it down a bit. They have a loose schedule to keep and have to adjust the timing of later scenes if the improv takes up more then allowed.

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yeah, I think I liked it better _overall_ before, but like it in different ways now.

Maybe just because I'm not an old enough geezer to remember live TV being the norm. These various "events" have often been interesting. But I guess just like SNL's live-ness, maybe this will get old quickly too.

There was way too much "read the cue cards" though. At least they should learn to somehow fake it, and not stare directly over the person's shoulder the whole time.

Even though it makes it "unprofessional", I do like that they seem to be being allowed/encouraged to break each other up.

16. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It depends on the live. When Roc did it, it added an edge to the production and the acting was sharper because they were focused.

I enjoyed the live show from last year because it was different and other than a few winks they played it pretty straight. The first show this year just kept screaming "THIS IS LIVE" and the show became about it being live rather than the quick and sometimes witty banter that was so enjoyable last year. Now we get forced flubs, long redundant lists that are obviously ad libbed and a bunch of actors trying to top themselves.

In the first episode, only two of the actors felt like they were in character. Burski and Shelly (the latter is the best thing in the whole show).

17. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Is the rest of the season all going to be hour long episodes?

18. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    No. That was just for the premiere. NBC has a new sitcom ("Truth Be Told") that will premiere this Friday after Undateable. Although by all accounts from the critics, Truth Be Told is awful and I'll be surprised if it lasts more than a few weeks. Given that Undateable's season premiere got a 0.8 last week, if it falls a bit in the second episode, and then TBT falls off a little from that, as is normal with a new show following an established show, it could mean that TBT premieres to something like a 0.5 or 0.6. If that happens, it's very likely that TBT may not even make it to a second episode.

19. MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe Travels for Food

Feb 19, 2003
    Central MA
    I've enjoyed this show since it started and enjoy it more, live.

20. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    Which ones are the actual comedians? I think I know the guy that plays Shelly is a comedian. I'm not sure who the others are.