Undateable 5/5/15 - A Live Show Walks into a Bar

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mattack, May 7, 2015.

1. May 7, 2015 #1 of 24
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No thread?

Did anybody else watch this?

I thought it was VERY funny. They seemed to have permission to go somewhat off script in several areas.

It was definitely "less professional" than other live episodes, where they specifically tried to crack each other up many times. (Though strangely, one of the actresses seemed to laugh right at the beginning for no reason.)

I thought the funniest one was when the bar owner called the other co-star "The ugly guy from 'Whitney'". The characters were hurling insults at each other for some reason I don't remember at the moment.

Oh yeah, and this was I think the biggest show I've ever seen on my Tivo. High 8 gigs (I think 8.8) for an hour and 2 minutes (1 minute pad on each end). I only follow this a lot since my Tivo is lately at 99%, after putting in a 3 TB drive and changing virtually all of my SPs to the HD channel last fall. (Yes, the end of the main TV season will hopefully get me to whittle that way way down.)

2. May 8, 2015 #2 of 24
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I watched and enjoyed it. I think we got the east coast version because ours said "Recorded from an earlier live broadcast." I also don't remember the line about "the ugly guy from 'Whitney.'" I wonder how much was different between the two versions. I'll bet the west coast one was a lot more relaxed and they probably felt more free to ad lib.

3. May 8, 2015 #3 of 24
    MNoelH

MNoelH McGruber

Mar 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I actually ended up watching both feeds because I had so much fun watching the first one and wanted to see what they'd change up. The west coast one was better... everyone got into the "chubby" guy that the Ed Heads were supposed to slap (there was a one off in the east coast feed that carried over and got a lot more play in the west coast feed).

I also noticed that Minnie Driver was in the east coast feed and Kate (? - red head from Private Practice and the comedy where she was a judge - Bad Judge?) took her role in the west.

Was it Scott Foley that had eyes so blue they would mesmerize you? He messed up in the east feed (used the wrong character name) and ad-libbed a bit more in the west (had Danny get down on his knees before commanding him to take him to the airport).

The ending song was different also.

It was really fun to watch and compare. You get to see a little bit of how a show changes as they perform it multiple times and realize what works and what can be tweeked a little.

4. May 8, 2015 #4 of 24
    The Spud

The Spud Rather be cruising TCF Club

Aug 27, 2002
    Kent, WA
    I watched the West coast feed and really enjoyed it. It will be fun to compare with the East coast feed.

This was the 20th episode (over 2 seasons) of this show and the very first thread. Are we all too embarrassed to admit we watch it? :p

5. May 8, 2015 #5 of 24
    fireman9302

fireman9302 Nobody listens to me

Jul 1, 2004
    Nowhere...
    I love the show, but I never start threads for some reason...my favorite part was the beggining when they had there opening credit faces!

6. May 8, 2015 #6 of 24
    ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    You must have the east coast feed; there was no begging shown in the west coast version, just mugging.

7. May 8, 2015 #7 of 24
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I think that word was supposed to be BEGINNING.

8. May 8, 2015 #8 of 24
    The Spud

Aug 27, 2002
    Kent, WA
    Just finished watching the East Coast feed.

Ed Sheeran's opening song was different in both shows. In the West Coast feed he sang a nice cover of Britney Spear's, "Hit Me Baby One More Time," with Victoria Justice (Amanda) and Bridgit Mendler (Candace) to close the show. They were joined by Brent Morin (Justin) on one verse. Victoria and Bridgit sang a different song and were accompanied by Waz to close the East Coast show.

When Amanda and Justin were singing examples of backup singer riffs, Danny held the note he sang for an impressively long period of time in the West Coast show.

As was previously mentioned, Kate Walsh replaced Minnie Driver for the West Coast show. Anybody know why?

Ed Sheeran kissed Justin full on the lips during the West Coast show.

9. May 8, 2015 #9 of 24
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Was Dr. Drew in both coastal versions?

10. The Spud

Aug 27, 2002
    Kent, WA
    Yes. Minnie Driver/Kate Walsh was the only casting change.

11. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm sure you know this, but for those that don't, Dr. Drew's current co-host on Loveline is Mike Catherwood. Mike is married to Bianca Kajlich (Leslie on Undateable). A couple episodes ago, Danny set Leslie up on a date and that guy was played by Mike. In this live episode, we see Mike and Leslie together again and find out they are still dating.

12. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
  13. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    I was checking out articles about the live show and it was mentioned that about 50% of the non-live episodes are adlib. They also said that the 4 stand ups in the cast try to break the other stand ups.

I kinda had a feeling that was the case since Bianca tends to be laughing her but off fairly often. And I'm pretty sure that Ron Funches had a true response to a joke in the next to last episode of the season. Justin was acting out that infamous scene from "Ghost" with him and Justin messed up some of the lyrics, prompting Danny to yell at him and Shelly to break.

14. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Just watched the West Coast feed. Loved at the beginning when Ed Sheeran was leaving the bar and he says (about Justin): "He was a lot slimmer at the beginning of the season, right?" It took Justin and Leslie about 30 seconds to regain their composure for their next lines.

I also liked how they didn't try to hide the fact that they'd already done a wax strip from Justin's cheat for the East feed and did a second one from a different part of his chest.

15. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I didn't even know there were two different feeds. I wish we had Minnie Driver in ours. I love her and barely even know who the other one is.

Loved seeing the Scrubs gang. It was an odd coincidence for me that I just noticed, for the first time, at the beginning of the show that this is a Bill Lawrence show. D'oh!

16. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    How are you guys getting bi-coastal feeds?

17. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    I just watched the west feed on Hulu, but liked the east much better.

18. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    We got the east feed OTA and then I found a torrent of the west feed.

19. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Ah, I didn't know that they offered both.

20. tcorning

tcorning Member

Nov 14, 2001
    South Shore...
    Here in Massachusetts, Comcast On-Demand has the West coast feed of the show. Not sure if this is just because we got the East version live or if all regions will have the West coast version.