Uncle Sucker to give two $40 coupons to pay for your new HR20!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by trausch, Aug 16, 2007.

1. trausch

trausch New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Pittsburgh

Advertisements

This Link talks about how Uncle Sam will be giving $40 coupons towards the purchase of a digital tuner to help ease the pain and suffering of the digital transition. I wonder...will a new TV with a digital tuner qualify? How about a new HR20? How about an old HR10-250 on ebay?

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    I highly doubt either box, or more aless one for specific service carriers would apply

The "purpose" of that coupon is for straight ATSC Digital converters.

You could try though.

3. tonyquan

tonyquan Member

Feb 26, 2003
    From the official government website on this program (http://www.ntia.doc.gov/dtvcoupon/faq.html):

13. Can I use my coupon(s) to purchase any converter?
    No. The government will provide a list of eligible converters and participating retailers on its website. Consumers can also ask participating retailers what converters in their stores can be purchased with a government coupon.

14. Can I use my coupon to purchase other consumer electronics products, such as DVD recorders or televisions?
    No. Coupons will be electronically coded to be redeemable only for purchase of eligible converters.

4. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Another article about the same thing.
    http://www.tvpredictions.com/ibm081607.htm

IBM will manage the program.
    The OTA ATSC converter boxes will cost $50-75 so there will still be some out of pocket expense
    The converter boxes will be of no use to anyone who doesn't use an OTA antenna.

I haven't tuned in a TV signal from an antenna in more than 20 years.

5. tarman

tarman New Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Raleigh, NC

Advertisements

Then you haven't seen REAL HD TV! You certainly won't see it on D*, just HD_Lite.

6. ebockelman

ebockelman PR#6

Jul 12, 2001
    Orlando,...
    Have you seen the MPEG-4 HD channels, or are you just spouting what you have seen other uninformed people post?

7. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Not too many posters state something so definitively in the thread title and then turn around and question it in the body of their post. :)

8. kdonnel

kdonnel DVC-BCV

Nov 28, 2000
    Metro...
    I have seen the MPEG-4 channels and they look good but truthfully there must be some quality lost during the conversion from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4.

Maybe those with really great eye site or really large displays can see the difference between a OTA channel at MPEG-2 and the DirecTV version after being converted from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4.

9. milominderbinder

milominderbinder New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Chicagoland
    On a brand new 73" Mitsubishi, you can watch the OTA and the satellite MPEG4 side-by-side.

No one can tell the difference.

- Craig

10. trausch

trausch New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Well lets see. The simplest converter will have an antenna in and an analog out and come with a remote. There will also be a plethora of of manufactures making these and to differentiate themselves they may add "features". Let's say Phillips make a box and in addition to the analog out they include a HDMI port. Will this box still qualify? I should hope so, since it is converting a digital signal to analog one but is also providing a digital signal. Now suppose someone throws some RAM in the box so people can buffer shows and pause live TV. Everything is still fine right? Now Comcast says they want to get in on the game and will sell digital converter boxes that also accept cable TV signals. Again no problem since the device still receives digital signals and provides an analog output.

So you see. As long as a device tunes digital TV and somewhere puts out an analog signal (even if you don't use it) it will probably qualify for the rebate. Besides, you don't think the electronics manufactures and retails stores will lobby to make the interpretation of the use of these coupons as vague as possible?

11. imoirot

imoirot New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Code:
    Cheers for this 

12. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Technically, a satellite antennas IS an Antenna.
    I haven't tuned in a TV signal from ANY antenna in more than 20 years.

13. Jimmmmbo!

Jimmmmbo! Eh? I don't get it.

Jun 20, 2004
    Twin Cities, MN
    I don't think I can agree with is. The paperwork the government requires to pay back someone $40 is not going to make a profit for any decent company. My guess is that the govt will contract with manufacturers whose equipment qualify to the govt's standards and allow them a minimal profit, which the big boys could care less about.

I would expect to see the likes of Emerson and such authorized for the rebate program. I wouldn't count on the Sony's and Toshiba's of the world to be involved in this unless they contract with another outfit for what would be absolutely minimal profit.

14. tonyquan

tonyquan Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Umm, wrong again. Actually, the rules of this program are quite strict. See the following doc from the program site:

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/dtvcoupon/DTVmanufacturers.pdf

Some key points:

--Manufacturers have to submit their devices for government certification before they'll be eligible for the program.
    --There are particular device features that if present automatically make a device ineligible for the program. In particular, if a device has any of the following features, the government will not accept it into the program:

* A screen
    * Any kind of recording or playback capability
    * DVI, Component, HDMI, digital audio outs (coax or optical), VGA, USB, Firewire, Ethernet or WiFi

If you combine that with the fact that the coupons (they're not rebates) will be coded to work only with models that have passed the government certification, it would seem very hard to use them to buy something like an HR20. In fact, if you read the feature list above, it's clear that the program is designed from the start to specifically exclude devices like DVRs.

15. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    My neighbor hasn't upgraded yet to the Ka-band dish, so she's still just getting the MPEG-2 HD channels, but I couldn't believe how bad they looked when I was over there recently helping her with some other stuff. At first I thought she was tuned to the SD version of one of the local NYC networks, but she was on the HD channel. Then I thought something was misconfigured on her receiver or TV, but it all checked out. And then I went to the SD channel to compare myself and it was actually worse, so it really was on the HD channel.

I'm sure everyone still with DirecTV is anxious for the new HD nationals to come via the Ka-band satellites. It's hard to imagine that they could possibly look worse than they do now.

16. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    You know, the more I think about this, the dumber I think it is.

They are trying to offset the cost of forcing digital broadcast yet they are limiting folks to keeping their older TVs to make the migration.

Why?

Why not encourage the migration in anyway it can happen?

If someone wants to use their 40 bucks to buy a new TV that gets the digital signals, why not? Why force them into buying hardware that has limited life and force folks to use their old TVs to get the money?

17. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    The express intent of the program is to ensure those in the low income category don't get cut off from free television completely. The limitations placed on the coupon ensure that it isn't just a general $40 off coupon for anyone. Those with the money/means to buy something better will likely buy something better and not use the coupon. This will limit the monetary exposure of the government in issuing these coupons.

18. Martyp

Martyp Just a Daddyman

Jan 6, 2004
    sf bay area
    O

19. Martyp

Martyp Just a Daddyman

Jan 6, 2004
    sf bay area
    Ok Can someone tell me what channel the mpeg4 hd channels are compared to the mpeg2 ones.

I do notice that the over the air hd locals look better then the ones on directv

20. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    And that means that the low income folks can't buy a new TV?

As I said, stupid. The government is forcing them to use their own money if they want a new TV but is willing to shove them into keeping old technology.

Just because it is meant for lower income people doesn't mean they should be treated as second class.

Just plain stupid. Somebody who has little money but saves up their pennies to buy a new TV gets shafted? Nice way to promote industry and the economy.

I wonder if the government will now tell me how to spend my income tax refund?