Unbox to begin progressive play mode....

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by kmill14, Aug 29, 2007.

1. kmill14

kmill14 New Member

Dec 11, 2006

Advertisements

....at some point.

From today's earnings release statement:

"With the upcoming addition of progressive downloading, subscribers will be able to easily and quickly find, download and begin viewing almost immediately the content that they want, when they want"

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    they would have to change somewhat the file format/DRM to allow immediate playback of a partial download. I hope they can do that but it will take some work to pull off.

3. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    immediate viewing of unbox movies is greatly needed in order to compete with PPV and VOD.

4. kmill14

kmill14 New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    It stays a novelty until they can offer HD movies. But at least this is progress.

5. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004

Advertisements

I've used unbox about half a dozen times. Not a novelty to me.

6. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I've used unbox about a half dozen times also, and still consider it a novelty. When HD is available it will become an integrated part of viewing.

7. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Good news. I have bought the $0.99 specials every week since I found out about them, and apart from the quality issues I had with a couple of movies (mentioned in another thread), the waiting for the download is to me the biggest drawback. If they fix that, I'll be very happy. :)

8. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    For .99 cents, it works great. I like how I get the .99 cent emails in the morning. I can pick one to download and then watch it later that night, after work.

9. Unix_Beard

Unix_Beard New Member

Dec 22, 2003
    HD and a bit more time than 24 hours for a rental.

10. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    HD will improve it but unbox it is a long way from a simple novelty. Immediate playback will really bring it closer to PPV/VOD with far a better selection available. I see this as a really big step forward that is likely to bring more revenue to Amazon than HD will. They seem to be making sensible rather than fashionable choices.

IMHO the ability to watch down-loadable content directly on my TV makes it a usable service. The offerings that limit you to a PC are really the novelty.

11. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    I regularly rent the 99-cent specials - even if I don't get around to watching (which has happened a couple of times) - it is a buck, big deal. But I also have used to to rent movies I missed in the theater and that sounded interesting.

Sure, if there were an HD option I'd use it, but for now it is OK.

12. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    My use will be low, if even existant, until they increase the rental/watch window from 24 to at least 48 hours......

13. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I do use UNBOX - those 99cent specials are awesome.
    But I also agree that 24 hour window is the number one drawback for me. Still just dabbling in HD myself so SD is not a big issue since UNBOX gets better and better at downrezzing for a good SD picture.

anyway - the content provider is responsible for this setting and both UNBOX and TiVo can only follow what the content providers prescribe. :mad:

Hopefully at some point the content providers can grasp that a rental download is different from a PPV/VOD even with progressive download and open that window up to 48 or 72 hours.

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    Did they specifically say for TiVo? If not I'd vote that comes to PC's WAY WAY WAY before tivo's

Search for tivo stephens posts- if i recall there is a limitation of the current tivo download protocol that it can not decrypt downloaded content until the entire file is downloaded.

So tivo would need to redo their whole download system to do such a thing.

15. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    5.1 audio would be close to the top of my list. Suprised it has not been mentioned yet.

16. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    I would hope they toss that in when they start doing HD...

17. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Yes - in fact this news came from *TiVo*, not Amazon. *TiVo* announced progressive downloads are coming.

18. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

cool!

thanks

I wasn't clear who said what since the title just said unbox.

19. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Closed captions please!

20. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO

Me three...