Unbelievable behavior from Tivo support

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by nirmelamoud, Dec 18, 2017.

Do you think Tivo's behavior in this case is reasonable ?

1. Yes

60.7%
  2. No

39.3%
  1. nirmelamoud

nirmelamoud New Member

Jan 18, 2005

Advertisements

Here is what happened, forgive me if its a bit long, let me know what you think, and if you have an idea how to solve this.

I have a Romeo device, that is out of warranty, but Tivo still pushing, without my consent, updates to my box which is fine if they take responsibility for the updates, but they do not!!!

Few weeks ago, after an update installed on my box I started to see a strange behavior of the search and one pass features. For some keywords Tivo cant find any show that matches, even if I go to a specific show using the guide, and create a season/one pass from that show, it will create the season / one pass but there will be no upcoming episodes and it will not record any show. and of course search for that show will not find any matches. strange right ?

if I chose from the guide that show and tell tivo to record it, it will record the shoiw, so its just some integration between search and the shows DB that is broken. (and its only for specific shows / keytwords most of them are working)

I Tried everything with the help of the Tivo support team, nothing worked, and the Tivo team gave up and told me that the only solution is to replace the box, but I will need to pay 200$ for the lifetime migration and 150$ for the new box (they might be able to drop the 150$), because its out of warranty I have to pay the above sum, they cant replace it for no charge.

So I'm asking you guys, they broke the box with the update, how come I need to pay for it ? its true that its out of warranty but they just broke it (it did not stop working due to age) , take responsibility, either fix the bug, downgrade me to the older version or replace the box with the lifetime for no fee.

If I'm coming to your house and throw a stone at your TV even if its out of warranty, I should pay for it right ?

I need to write a letter to Tivo management to let them know what kind of Behaviour The support team is conducting. any idea who to write to ? who to call ?thanks

2. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I wouldn't expect this to have anything to do with hardware. Can you provide us with some examples you are seeing this behavior with?

3. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Agree that this is either a bug in the software, or a corrupted table in one of the databases. If it is reproducible then it is a bug and no hardware swaps will solve it. If not, then it is most likely corrupted data and a 'clear and delete everything' will fix it. You'd lose all your recordings on a hardware swap anyway, so a C&DE is worth it as a last resort.

My money is on it being a software bug.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Please report what version of the software you are now using. Thanks.

Another story -> No Upcoming shows when using search?

Third opinion -> Search problems on 20.7.4 | TiVo Troubleshooting | TiVo Help Forums

5. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland

Advertisements

Software. There is really only one thing that could reasonably have an issue related to an update, the hard drive, which you could easily replace yourself.

6. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    You gave them consent when you agreed to the terms of service

6. Changes to Your TiVo Service. TiVo may at its discretion and from time to time change, add, or remove features and functionality of the TiVo service or the TiVo device without notice.​

NorthAlabama and dianebrat like this.
  7. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Funny you should mention this. Same recording issue for me too. Go to the 1P and you'll find it's now checked off as "New Only".

After I changed all my automatic wishlist searches to "New & Repeats" do I see them again. It worked for me

8. nirmelamoud

nirmelamoud New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    I agree ,its SW but they are not willing to try to fix it.

9. nirmelamoud

nirmelamoud New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    I tried to delete everything , it did not help, example is "the girlfriend experience" or shameless , as I said it has nothing to do with recording of new or repeated, from the one pass that was created from an episode of the show (so cant make a typo) if I click the upcoming episodes (which will show new and old instances) it show nothing ....

10. nirmelamoud

nirmelamoud New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    "the girlfriend experience" , shameless

11. nirmelamoud

nirmelamoud New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    My argument is not that I have a problem with them pushing sw, my problem is that if they push SW and break my device they should fix it, or dont push sw to my device

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    KISS. Try SO. If it finds South Park and shows the thumbnail and upcoming it's not the same problem I had (which is now fixed). If it show no programs available, you have been infected and I don't know the cure.

Premium channels may affect the test.

13. nirmelamoud

nirmelamoud New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    SO find south park for me.

14. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    You specifically said they pushed the software without your consent. I just pointed out that that statement was false. They had your consent. Now if you want to talk only about solving your problem you shouldn't have brought up this nonsense about them doing something to you without your consent.

15. nirmelamoud

nirmelamoud New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    you are attached to a technicality, where the issue is different, the issue is that they change a box (update the sw) that its not under warranty and use that as an excuse to force you to pay them.

if a box is not under warranty and you are not going to support it, don't risk breaking it, that's all I'm saying, and if you do take responsibility for your actions

16. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    What do you mean you “tried” to delete everything? Did you or didn’t you? Clear and delete everything is a menu item that should clear the hdd and put you back to square one with guided setup. Is that what you did? If not, try it. If that doesn’t work, it’s easy enough to drop in a new hdd. That way you start with a whole new software download. This option is far better that spending the money for a new unit.

17. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    This is silly. TiVo sends out hundreds of thousands of updates regularly. They can’t stop doing that because one hdd might somehow get corrupted. You can either accept the suggested fixes, or perhaps limp along with search not working perfectly until TiVo pushes out a new software update. Btw, have you tried using search on the TiVo app? I do all my searches on the app since it has the convenience of a keyboard.

18. nirmelamoud

nirmelamoud New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    I did, it did not fix the problem.

19. nirmelamoud

nirmelamoud New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Im waiting for the next update.
    for updates, they can easily return the old method, where you need to accept an update , before it installed. or stop sending updates to out of warranty devices, or accept responsibility and if an update causes a problem fix it.

I will try to Tivo app, good idea.

20. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That may not always happen. At the first screen after a C&DE, hit Info. That displays your current software version. When I bought a 1TB OTA Roamio on BF, it shipped with 20.6.3. After first guided setup I had 21.7.2.RC11 (current then). I downgraded it and received 20.7.4. I did a request to add Hydra back and it seem to perform a C&DE. On the first prompt I found 20.7.4 was still installed. If the software was cleared, it should have reverted to 20.6.3. But my situation may be different.