unable to use dual tuner

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by hammer23, Jan 17, 2007.

1. hammer23

hammer23 New Member

Jan 17, 2007

Advertisements

Setup
    new Tivo Series 2
    I3 Micro satellite/cable box (have fiberoptics running to my house) so I only have ethernet jack coming from the wall

Because of my cable box, I was told by tivo support that since I'm not able to split the connection coming from the wall, I need to either put a VCR or some modulator and then use co-axle to the tivo, in order to use the dual tuner feature.

My question, what are they talking about as far as the modulator? I do not want to put a VCR, if I have to.

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Can you give us a little more info?
    1. Who is your cable provider?
    2. Is it a digital only service?
    3. What type outputs does the cable box have

My understanding of the Series 2 DT is that it requires unscrambled analog cable to use the second tuner. Are they talking about using a VCR to send an OTA signal to the TiVo on channel 3/4?

Thanks,

3. gfxguy

gfxguy New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    I was writing a reply asking what they heck they were thinking, but I think I understand what they are saying to do, and you don't need a VCR to do it, there are other standalone modulators that you can buy.

This is just my guess, though.

So here you have this L3 unit - it's capable of dual tuning in it's own right. And I'm assuming the Tivo must know how to change channels, including the secondary channel, on the L3.

1) the line out on the L3 box goes to the Tivo. That's obvious.

2) the second line out (second tuner on the l3) goes to an RF modulator that, let's say, uses channel 3. The Tivo then gets tuned to channel 3 in order to recieve the signal.

The Tivo then changes channels on the box remotely, either the first or second L3 tuner - the first will affect the line in on Tivo, the second will affect the signal coming in on the cable similar to how a VCR can select channels while your TV stays on channel 3/4!

Look here.

I'm not endorsing any of the products on that page, I'm just showing there's an alternative to using a VCR that could be small, cheap, and unobtrusive in your entertainment center.

Keep in mind I'm going on the assumption the Tivo will be able to remotely tell the L3 what to select on either of the L3's tuners independently. Actually, even "tuner" is a misnomer here, since the box isn't tuning anything, but it is deciphering streaming video.

A nice hack if you can get it to work!

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You can't use dual tuner to its fullest with your sort of programming source.

The most you can do is use an independant second "tuner" from your provider to modulate onto RF, but you will have to manually set timers on the DVR and the "tuner".

The TiVo can only control one set top box at all.

5. gfxguy

gfxguy New Member

Dec 15, 2005

Advertisements

But since it IS only one box, but the box itself is capable of decoding multiple streams at once (or so I gathered after looking it up), isn't it possible Tivo could be made smart enough to tell the single set top box WHICH "tuner" on the external box to change the channel on?

I'm sorry, I used "L3" when I should have used "i3", which is the name of a company (i3 Micro), not a product, so his may not be capable - but the one I read about can decode multiple streams of video.

I'm sure it would work given two conditions that it shouldn't be hard for a Tivo to meet: (1) Tivo can already remote control the box, it should be able to tell it which line to change the "channel" on (actually changes the input stream, since it's not really a tuner), and (2) Tivo knows not to change off of channel 3 or 4 on the analog side.

For (1), this is no different then emulating any other remote control except the remote for this particular box requires more codes.

For (2), I think that should be a no brainer to implement.

Again, I'm not saying the Tivo can do this (although I'm positive you can use a second channel and even record off of it, but you'd have to control that second tuner on the external box manually).